9. Passing Ships in the Night (2)

Arabella shrugged off her cloak with a heavy sigh upon entering the doors to the manor, stretching with a grunt of satisfaction as she handed off the article to Aubrey. The daily bumpy carriage rides were taking their toll now, as evident by the ache in her spine. It was only the two of them in the foyer, having reached home just in time before the sun had fully set. Her day had been the most productive one yet, so she owed it to herself to take a break. For the next two days, she could move on, but all she wanted now was to relax.

The sound of heels clicking on the marble floor brought Arabella's gaze towards the large steps where she spotted Olivia making her way towards her with a curious look, "You're back! Did you go shopping...?" Olivia's blue eyes travelled to Aubrey, noting the lack of bags or boxes before humming in realisation. "..Or not. Did you go into town?"

"Yes. I just needed a change of scenery." Arabella responded briefly, not pausing her attempts to return to her room. She avoided eye contact, painfully reminded of the fact that she burst into tears like a child the last time they spoke to each other. Though Olivia didn't seem to pay mind to the fact her sister was not in the mood for conversation.

"It's not often that you leave the estate and so frequently, " Olivia finished her descent from the stairs with a large smile and a slight skip in her step. "It's good that you've had a change of heart. Getting fresh air and stretching your legs is medicine for the soul. Especially when you have good company... This manor can be so stifling at times."

Arabella watched her sister's smile for a long while in silence, until Olivia began to laugh nervously under the pressure of her lingering gaze. Finally, she squinted, "...What do you want? Out with it."

Olivia relented, laughing slightly at her own expense having been caught, "...Alright. I did come here with a motive." Arabella raised her brow once more, in a signal to continue and Olivia obliged with a warm smile. "I was hoping you would want to join me tomorrow on a trip into the square."

Olivia looked hopeful, eyes widening the slightest bit as Arabella held back a frown. This wasn't something they had ever done before. And she had told promised herself she would rest. But Olivia seemed so eager... This was outside of Arabella's comfort zone. She was used to everyone going their own ways, but perhaps things had gone this way because her exposing her tears appealed to Olivia's motherly side. What was the point of returning to the past if she wouldn't take the opportunity to change things? It wasn't like she was happy, being so distant with her siblings. That's just the way things had always been.

Taking a deep breath, Arabella smiled slightly, "...I don't mind." Olivia tried to hide her enthusiastic surprise to no avail. "After all, I was planning on buying new pieces to learn anyway."

With a pleased grin, Olivia clapped her hands together in excitement, "Perfect! You'll have fun, I promise."

With that she pranced away to her next objective, Arabella stared as she did so before sighing. it looked like her days of relaxation would have to wait.

——————
Olivia sat tight in her seat, all smiles, "Isn't this nice?"

Arabella hadn't expected the carriage ride into town to be for three people rather than two. The current makeup being Olivia seated next to a preoccupied Layton who had his eyes glued to the window and arms firmly crossed over his chest. He was either very preoccupied with the outside scenery or avoiding them. Specifically his youngest sister. Olivia was always the easiest to interact with, but Arabella and Layton were almost too similar to actually get along. They clashed too much. Though, even if he was silent she couldn't deny she felt happy to see him again.

As she sat in silence, she thought to herself almost stunned. Was this really how it was between her and Layton? She knew they never got along, and hardly spoke but she didn't think he would straight up ignore her. Or rather this was the status quo, wasn't it? She just had whiplash from how she remembered his passionate defence of her honour.