22. Road Block

Arabella flinched slightly at the sound of a knock on the door. Lying in bed, she pulled the sheets over her head and awaited the sound of Aubrey's footsteps leaving her side. A few moments later, she listened in closely to the familiar voice on the other end.

"Is she still unwell?"

"It's nothing to worry yourself about, Lady Olivia. Nothing that a few more days of rest can't fix."

Silence and after a moment a soft sigh.

"She must have run herself into the ground with her duties...When she wakes, let her know that I stopped by. "

"Of course, my lady."

Upon the sound of the door closing, Arabella sat back up in bed and picked up the skirt of her nightgown to rush back to her original spot at her large window, with curtains drawn but widened just enough for a view of the manor's gates. She ignored the sound of Aubrey approaching in favour of squinting through the gap with bated breath.

"How long will this farce last, milady?" Aubrey sounded less than impressed by Arabella's little act. "Are you nervous about the prospect of meeting his highness? A visit such as this is a privilege to the family."

"A stately visit at the last second is not a privilege. Nor is it cordial..." Arabella replied absentmindedly, staring almost unblinkingly through the window. She bit at her lip hard, ignoring the tender feeling from chewing at it so ardently. "I'm not nervous. I'm just not in the right mood to put on a show."

He wanted something.

That much was blatantly obvious. Their father didn't involve himself with royalty, hardly ever with other members of the aristocracy either, so even their visits to the capital were nearly non-existent. Ishir Lockhart had dedicated his time to the Earldom until he passed. Layton himself was not interested in the politics of high society or its politics. On top of that, despite their family's history as soldiers of the royal family, they had barely interacted with royalty more than necessary to this day.

Things like this just didn't happen to the Lockharts.

Aubrey glanced at the girl with a thoughtful furrow of her brow before sighing, "If I remember correctly, you were introduced to the Queen herself when you were much younger, milady. This can't be much different."

"I was six. I hardly remember it and I doubt she does either," It was the first and last time she had met Queen Frances at all, considering the next time she went to the capital, she was...well, dead. "And again. I'm not nervous."

Aubery let out a soft hum expressing her doubt at the claim, "...Well, I am not paid to ask questions but I do find it interesting that you asked of me to keep an eye on who the prince speaks to, this evening..."

Arabella turned her head to Aubrey and attempted to furrow her brows only to realise that they had already been firmly furrowed albeit subconsciously. Aubrey's lips held the subtlest of smug upturns. Had Aubrey always been so brazen? Perhaps so and Arabella was just too self-important to notice.

"Is it a crime that I'm curious about why he's here?" She spoke steadily, frowning.

Aubrey said nothing, only raising her dark brows slightly before moving on and leaving the topic alone, much to Arabella's relief.

As a precursor, of course, Aubrey herself was being watched... Just in case. Carol very clearly was smitten with the prospect of meeting royalty and did not bother hiding it. All Arabella said was: 'I hear the prince is so handsome even the most stoic of women fall for his charms. I'm curious if Aubrey will break in his presence, it's a shame I'll be too busy to see it for myself.' With a mischievous grin and a twinkle in her eye, Carol was on board immediately.