13. Reflection

"Aubrey! You're finally free!"

The merry shouts of her name, hardly startled the woman as she descended into the servant's quarters, crossing into the room in which her fellow coworkers had already begun to make use of the weekend with alcohol and food laid out on the table. The common Friday night sight caused Aubrey to huff slightly in endearment as she untied her apron from her waist and approached the large group.

"For tonight, yes." She answered curtly, though her eyes were occupied with the redhead sitting at the far end of the table eyeing her. Aubrey's mind ran back to her 'assignment' and she twisted the object around her finger, causing the emerald to glint in the candlelight. Letting her grey eyes fall back to the group, she feigned a teasing smile. "You're all better off going out for drinks than making so much noise here."

The stablehand, Oliver, gulped down his drink before laughing, "With all the fuss about thieves that Earl Lockhart made? No way! A night out on the town isn't fun with officers watching your back."

"Hold on! What is that?" Another maid, Jane gawked at the glimmering jewel on Aubrey's finger with shining eyes. Aubrey jerked only the slightest bit when the energetic girl reached forward and grabbed her hand, inspecting the gem, and smiling. "Aubrey, this looks expensive. Is the pay as Lady Arabella's personal maid that good?"

"It has to be to deal with her all day."

"Maybe I shouldn't have rejected the position..."

By now, Aubrey was crowded, though she paid very little mind to the fawning of her peers and instead let her eyes fall on the one girl who had not come to inspect the jewellery. Carol stared wide-eyed, looking as though she had swallowed something sour and it was exactly as Arabella had said. Aubrey's curiosity pushed her further into her next orders. She smiled slightly at the group and modelled the ring on her finger, making sure it would be in Carol's line of sight, "It was a gift. Lady Arabella thought my work deserved some recognition."

The looks of surprise on the others' faces at the explanation morphed into question upon question. Though Aubrey found herself uninterested in entertaining her now curious coworkers and instead turned to Carol who had stood up abruptly in her seat, chair scraping backwards. The girl's nostrils flared, though she hid her emotions behind a deceivingly blank face. Aubrey remained her usual calm self, "Is anything wrong?"

"That's a lie," Carol spoke with a slightly smug tone without a smile, dragging the attention of everyone else in the room towards her. "That girl has never done such a thing in her life."

Aubrey stared right back into Carol's eyes with an incredulous expression. It was amazing. Just like Arabella said. Shaking off her surprise, she shrugged at Carol, "If it will satisfy you, why don't you ask her yourself?"

By now all the others had listened in to the scene with blatantly eagre faces.

Aubrey tried her best to balance her expression just like she was asked to. Just a little bit guilty looking, only the slightest bit nervous. Then that would be enough. Judging by the challenging fire look in Carol's eyes, it seemed as though she had succeeded.

"Fine. I will."

------------------------

"It's been a while since we spoke in private, hasn't it, Carol?"

Arabella closed the door to the drawing room behind her, causing Carol to jump slightly. Her brown eyes narrowed ever so slightly as she turned, her lips pulled into a tight nervous line. Even if it was cruel, Arabella couldn't help but be amused watching her squirm. When would she say it? Would she back out?

Arabella doubted she'd go back now.

Carol, frowned and finally opened her mouth to speak, "I... I have something crucial to tell you, Lady Arabella." It seemed as though it was becoming increasingly difficult for the girl to maintain eye contact, but she persevered. "I want you to know that I have not taken a thing from you since... that time. And I never will!" Arabella felt her excitement growing as the maid stumbled through her words. She smiled in encouragement for her to continue. Carol took this to heart and with confidence, proclaimed. "It may be hard to believe, but Aubrey is a thief."