19. Oath

Time drifted by at a snail's pace. Sitting in his borrowed room, staring at the vial in his hand, Alistair swallowed back a shaky sigh. The amber liquid within the small, smooth container reminded him of dark honey- maybe even tree sap. It would be almost inviting if it wasn't the same poison that had put him down before. How could such a beautiful thing be so deadly?

He almost couldn't believe that Katherine had managed to get her hands on it, and against her better judgment, that she had given it to him. He had managed to convince her it was for his protection, a last resort. Whether she believed him or not, it was in his possession and was his to do whatever he wanted with.

But 2 weeks into his plan, his trembling body and shallow breathing elicited the realisation that he had underestimated how arduous it would be to develop an immunity. One of the history books Arabella had forced onto him told the tale of a previous King so afraid of poison he dosed himself as protection. In a way, wasn't he just learning from his ancestors? At least, that's what he tried to tell himself every time he diluted the deadly substance into his meals. It's for the greater good. It'd be worth it in the end, if something like 'that' ever happened again.

Regardless, even he wasn't blind enough to ignore that something was wrong. The agony tearing through his body was morbidly familiar, no matter how much he tried to push the memory back, the searing pain in his chest was unforgettable. A subtle panic began to grow in his stomach, as he forced himself to a mirror on staggering feet. Tired eyes, skin glistening with sweat and dry lips. He was a sorry sight and looked just as bad on the outside as he felt inside.

Katherine was in the capital, following through on his request. Explaining this to anyone he knew would be difficult. And hospitals were out of the question; his mother had always taught him to avoid them considering most of the earldom's doctors were graduates from the royal academy. The chances of recognition were slim, but not worth it.

A sudden thought crossed his fever-hazed mind.

With palpitations and staggering footsteps, he stumbled blindly out of the house and followed a familiar path with a pounding headache.

--------------------

"...What?"

Aubrey startled back from Arabella after having leaned down to whisper news into her ear. The young girl jumped out of her seat in the study, blue eyes squinting in disbelief. Aubrey gestured to calm the girl down before she reiterated the news in a whisper.

"I ran into him while escorting Mr Reeves out. He collapsed at the gate, murmuring something about poison. I carried him to a guest room."

Arabella squinted even more in bewilderment. What was he trying to do? Was this another play of his? She felt her eye twitch in frustration at the mere thought. 2 weeks of nothing and this is what he makes her deal with. With a sigh, Arabella spoke, "Did anyone see you carry him in?"

Aubrey shook her head firmly, "I made sure to be discreet. All the staff are busy preparing to end the day."

Arabella huffed in slight relief, "Thank God..." It would have been hard to explain, otherwise. She got out from behind the desk and gestured for Aubrey to follow her as she did. Opening the solid oak doors, she stomped her way through the halls. She'd kick him out with his tail between his legs if she had to.

It didn't take long to reach the occupied guest room and as she stood before the large doors, Arabella paused before opening them. Her mind suddenly flashed to the trick he had pulled on her brother and she turned to Aubrey with a frustrated look, "If he tries to hide behind the door, make sure you grab him."