Nightmare and Memory

The first thing I remembered was darkness. Within the darkness, there was heat. But not the kind of heat that welcomed you after a long day, keeping you safe from the cold, both physically and metaphorically. It was the kind that was uncomfortable. The kind that burned. It scratched up against my skin, crawling its way through me. In my mind, I tried to shake it off, but that only seemed to make it worst.

I finally decided to leave the darkness, away from the nothingness. Only when I did open my eyes, I was met with bright colours of red, orange, and yellow, all contributing to the unbearable heat before.

From my perspective, the entire area was covered in flames. Fire was clinging onto the treetops, burning away the leaves and bark, and spreading across the floor. My nerves slowly returned to me, realising I was lying on the ground, flat on my back. Surrounded by the fire.

There were gaps in my memory, which considering the pounding sensation I was feeling in my head, explained as such. That I must have fell hard, hence the reason I was lying down. With trees surrounding me, now currently burning, I must have been at the logging station. As I began to become more aware, I suddenly remembered I was here for the school's annual trip to the station.

Why it ended up catching fire, how I become unconscious and for how long was beyond me. But my brain, now fully aware, was alerting me to get up and to get out of here. In case my body heavily sweating and sticking my clothes and hair against my skin, and the thick taste of black smoke flowing through my throat and causing me to cough deeply wasn't alarming enough.

Only when I did proceed to stand up, I was met with such a shocking pain, vibrating from my legs to my head that even whilst gritting my teeth, a scream escaped me, and my eyes started to water up from it. Though that could also be due to the smoggy air.

It took about a minute, although it felt like hours, before the pain somewhat subsided, allowing me to at least sit up. That was where I saw the cause of the pain – a large, scorching tree was beside me, trapping the lower part of my left leg underneath.

My breath immediately got caught in my throat, which combined with the smoke, made my cough go even deeper. In a panic, I tried to push the log off, but the instant my hands touched it, it bit back, instantly reminding me how stupid the idea was. The palm of my hands was slightly scorched, but I didn't pay it any attention as I frantically looked about. The fire claimed the whole area, blocking my view. I doubted anyone stayed behind anyway once the fire started, but that sentiment only made my heart beat heavily in fear.

"H-Hey! Anyone?!" I yelled out as loud as I could against the roaring flames. Hoping someone somehow decided to return for potential survivors. "Help me! Anybody?!"

"...Hiccup...! Hiccup!"

Against all odds, I heard a voice in the distance. Relief pooled over upon hearing the familiar deep Scottish voice in the distance.

"Dad! Dad, I'm here! I'm over here!" Though the smoke continued to enter my system from my shouting, that didn't stop me from doing as such, trying to grab his attention in my direction.

I could hear and feel his footsteps pounding as he emerged through the fire, running towards me. I never thought I would be so thankful to see the thick, ginger beard attached to the large figure that was my dad.

"Hiccup! Oh, thank goodness. Are you OK?" He asked, grabbing hold of my shoulders, and checking over me.

I nodded. "Y-Yeah, but..." I coughed before continuing. "M-My leg is stuck..." I pointed towards the fallen tree, and I watched his eyes widened as he noticed. Frightened was not a reaction I was used to seeing from him. In any different circumstances, it probably would have been funny to me.