Heading For The Capitol Part 2

Throughout the history of The Hunger Games, District 7 had 5 winners, known as victors. It wasn't a high number, compared to the Career Districts, who had 24 victors altogether. Regardless, it wasn't a number to scoff at, especially with District 11 and 12 rarely getting any winners, if any. With every Hunger Games, a victor, or two, if possible, would take on the role of mentor, using their previous expertise to assist the new tributes.

Eret Ericson was the last victor of District 7, having won the 86th Hunger Games at aged 16. I remembered watching a recording of his win during class a few years ago, and it was clear he became victorious due to his tremendous trap making skills. While he could fight close quarters due to his physical body strength, it was his contraptions that disposed most of the tributes, many of them starving to death from them. He was the second youngest victor from District 7, and he had been a mentor for the past 3 years. So, this year was no expectation.

Upon entering the carriage and turning his head in our direction, Eret smirked a bit before heading for the small bar on the far right, adorned with plenty bottles of drinks, mostly alcoholic, and finely designed glasses. He went ahead and poured himself a small glass of whiskey.

"Oh, please tell me he's not an alcoholic." Astrid exclaimed just above a mutter with annoyance.

"I can control my alcohol, thank you." He replied humorously. With his drink in hand, Eret began to approach us. As he did, he gave a quick glare towards Mala, although she paid no attention to it, before taking his seat next to Astrid. He took a good swig of the drink, hissing at the stinging sensation, but in a delightful way.

"So, you're enjoying the journey so far?" He asked. It wasn't the question I expected him to ask first.

"It's... fine?" I shrugged in confusion.

He chuckled. "Yeah, I feel about the same way, kid. If you ever come back, you'll get used to it. Or not, I don't know." He said that in such a nonchalant way, like whether we survived or not was not his problem, that I could feel my heart twist from his words.

"So, are you going to tell us anything?" Astrid spoke in a matter-of-fact manner, breaking the silence that we had found ourselves in suddenly.

"Hmm?" Eret looked at her, slightly dumbfounded.

"Like are you going to give us any advice?" She clarified.

"And why should I do that?" He drank his whiskey before continuing. "I don't see why you need to worry about it now." The twisting of my heart grew more that I had to look down and take a deep breath to compose myself.

"What do you mean by that?"

"I mean, you shouldn't worry. You just got picked. I say you enjoy the ride until we arrived." The grip my fists had against my lap tightened with every word spoken by him.

"Enjoy the ride? We got the Tribute Parade coming up and you're not bothered to give even a single advice?" Even with my head burrowed, I could hear her voice was about to burst in anger as she continued to argue.

"Look, I'm sure you've watched my win at your school, right? If you paid attention to that, you would have figured it out yourself and should be fine." I always had a feeling he was an overconfident person, but his continuing dismissal didn't help the situation we were in. That I was in. My heart grew tighter, like an elastic band stretching further, threatening to snap.

"Are you kidding me? Remind me what side are you on? Because if you're not on ours, then just say it and save me the trouble."

"Hey, I didn't say I don't care. I just think you're making a big deal about all this."