Heading For The Capitol Part 1

No one else came to visit after Heather, but like I mentioned before, I didn't have a lot of friends. I didn't even know a lot of family members, let alone was close with them, so I expected this. It did give me time to let my thoughts run ramped for 45 minutes, leaning my head back against the sofa. The ticking of the clock only seemed to be getting louder, slowly reaching my inevitable leave from District 7.

Without looking, my fingers fiddled with the wooden carving. The first and last thing Heather may ever give to me. The more I thought, the more it was so clear to me. Heather was a friend to me. My first true friend.

We may not have hanged out every day like other friends would, but I always enjoyed her company whenever we were together. Clearly, I was stubborn; so hellbent on referring to her as an acquaintance since I was never good with making friends. I wasn't someone who introduced myself to others that people would like instantly. I kept to myself, and therefore no one really wanted to know me personally. Not that I cared. But Heather did. She wanted to know me, the real me, and soon enough, I found I wanted to know her.

She really was a friend to me. I'd just wished I didn't come to this conclusion so late. I'd just wished I had the chance to tell her before getting killed.

I was too into my thoughts that the sound of the doors opening shook me. Luckily, I recovered quickly and saw the same Peacekeeper from before standing by the entrance.

"Your hour's up. Come on." This was it. My time was up. I felt my stomach sunk low as he said that, but somehow, I resolved myself from another panic attack. Besides, I was still exhausted from the last one.

With one last deep sigh, I got up, tucking the carving into my pocket, and taking the last bread roll in hand, having ate one previously about 15 minutes ago. The Peacekeeper then marched towards me, stood behind me, and began escorting me out of the building. I could feel his stare on the back of my neck, I felt I would trip from being startled, but I maintained my pace as the light outside emerged. Once I stepped outside, I had to squint my eyes from the sudden bright light, having been indoors for an hour. Upon opening them and adjusting to the new setting, I caught glimpse of a car parked just outside the building, with Mala standing by the open car backdoor.

"Ah, there you are! Come, come now. The Capitol awaits!" Her gleeful attitude to all this made me sick, but I shouldn't be. Someone who lived in The Capitol could never understand.

Though the Peacekeeper didn't shove me into the vehicle, it felt like it as I stumbled inside before he slammed the door shut. Mala soon followed suite, scooting herself inside to the middle in such a delicate way. Like one wrong move could destroy the very fabric of her dress. Although, I'm sure she could just buy a new one easily. Almost immediately after she entered, the other side of car door opened, and Astrid arrived. Once the door closed, the vehicle finally began to drive away of the Hall of Justice, the building now added to the list of transformed memories.

"Right! So, the train journey will only take 4 hours, thanks to the service of District 6." Mala mentioned, plastering her fake smile at the both of us. "Despite the short time, I would highly recommend you get clean up and join us for lunch before we arrive. Grow accustomed to the wonderful Capitol cuisine." I didn't bother to answer, deciding to stare out the window, but I heard Astrid hum in response, though sounding disinterested.

The whole car ride was relatively quiet, with the engine providing some semblance of sound. Though I was mostly watching the buildings of District 7 pass by, I couldn't help but glance my eyes towards Astrid. Her head was leaning against the window, looking straight with a neutral expression. It was like her expression never changed from getting picked, which made it hard to decipher what she was thinking. Knowing her, she was probably ready for the Games, having trained for this moment. Or just like me and anyone else, she was scared. I could only guess, but I hoped it was the latter.