Must Work Together

The glass-sided elevator took us up within the Training Centre, giving us a high viewpoint of The Capitol on the way. The night-time setting allowed for the building to light up and admittedly, it gave the city a mesmerising feel. A sort of calm after the hectic feeling of the Tribute Parade. Soon, the elevator came to a stop, and when its doors opened, I caught a glimpse into our tribute apartment, with its light blue glass flooring and grey painted walls. Each tribute, their mentors and escorts would stay at a floor that corresponded with the district. Being from District 7, we took residence at the 7th floor.

"Come, come now! You are going to love your new place." Mala exclaimed, walking ahead into the room with a skip in her step. I heard Eret sigh with annoyance as we followed. The size of the room was quite large and spacious, already exceeding all the houses in District 7. It had a black curved sofa to the side, facing a wide screen TV on the wall. On a raised platform reached by small rail-less stairs, there was a glass dinner table with weird looking chairs and fancy ceiling lights above. In addition, there was another staircase that led up to a second floor. The entire room was decorated with small waterfalls and rock arrangements.

"Right now, I suggest you two go and get changed before dinner is served. Avoxes will take your outfits and return your original clothing. Your bedrooms are upstairs." The moment Mala's words left her mouth, I was already heading up the staircase. At top, there was a hallway with four doors, two on each side. I went for the last door on the left side.

Once I opened the door, I didn't even acknowledge the space as my eyes were laser focused on the soft bed, limping my way there and collapsing on top onto my back. I was certain I crushed some of the twigs on the outfit, but I couldn't care less, only focusing on removing the prosthetic that was now squeezing my stump. As I yanked it off, I could feel it breathe its own a sigh of relief, causing me to do the same.

"How do these people wear these every day?" I complained, beginning to remove the easy part of the costume as I continued to lay on my back, looking up at the grey coloured ceiling. I allowed the quietness of the room to consume me, a huge contrast to all the suffocating cheers at the Parade. I turned my head around to get a better look. Though slightly smaller than downstairs, it was still just as spacious. The walls were also a grey colour, and the floor was a green-yellowish colour. To the left side, there was a large, rectangular-shaped screen that was presented like a window, showcasing the city skylines of The Capitol during daytime.

Curious, I finally sat up, crossing my legs on the bed. Looking around again, I found a remote on the bedside counter. I picked it up and without looking, pressed a random button, prompting the lights to dim. I took a better look at the device and out of the four buttons, managed to deduce the two that controlled the lightning. The other two had a left and right symbol on it. Pressing the right arrow, the screen on the wall changed from the skylines to the centre of a busy street, with Capitol residences walking by. Already starting to feel annoyed at the sight, I pressed it again. This time, it was a snowy mountain range stretching across the screen.

The third time, though, I became still, shocked at the sight before me – a forest. It wasn't exactly like the one back home, but it was too similar. And yet, I didn't freeze up in fear. Usually, just a glimpse of the place would make my heart race, images of fire flashing before me, but instead I felt calm, almost nostalgic. However, that only led me to feel sorrow. Sorrow of the thought of never seeing it in person again, only ever artificially. I changed the screen back to the mountains.

I sighed deeply, placing the remote back in its place. I was about to lie down when I heard a knocking on the door. Not wanting to hop to the door, I reluctantly wore the costume prosthetic and upon opening the door, revealed a woman dressed in a red jumpsuit, holding a pair of folded clothes and my original prosthetic leg on top. I quickly deduced that she may be an Avox, as Mala mentioned.