1

September 1st 1974

"Owe James that's my foot" Ella complained pulling her legs under her

"My bad" he said jumbling into his seat next to the window.

"It's too crowded in here" Remus grumbled under his breath

"Relax Moony" Sirius reassured his friend.

Peter shifted uncomfortably in his seat across from Ella close to the door.

Lily, Mary and Marlene came into the compartment and squeezed in next to Ella.

"Hey Lil" Ella said hugging her friend and she  smiled back at her.

"Move your legs Black" Mary complained trying to push his legs off of the seat.

"Make me" he shot back a shit eating grin on his face.

Mary just rolled her eyes and gave his legs one final shove before they fell to the ground with a thud.

"Rude" he said quietly folding his arms.

All eight students were packed into the compartment on the Hogwarts express heading for school.

Shouting pushing throwing things. New year same friends.

Ella watched them an amused look on her face.

It was the start of their fourth year at Hogwarts. The past three years had been great fun with the boys causing trouble.

Last year they had swapped all of the Slytherin robes with muggle prom dresses.

It was a brilliant prank that would be hard to top.

Ella had moved to England from Ireland months before her first year and was so worried about making friends.

Lucky for her Remus had taken her under his wing and the rest was history.

"What about you Sirius?" Marlene asked as Ella turned her attention back to the conversation.

"Oh you know summer at the Blacks is basically the same as camp" he teased.

"Roasting marshmallows over the fire, swimming in the lake, team....bonding" he was barely able to choke the last part out

The girls giggled and shook their heads but James just frowned.

Sirius had never explicitly said how bad things were at home but Ella had guessed, and from James's face she knew she was right.

"What about you lot?" Ella asked turning the focus of the conversation to the three girls.

Mary started talking incredibly fast about her summer holidays.

Out of the corner of her eye Ella could see Sirius relax slightly as he listened to the girl sat across from him.

The sorting ceremony was finally over and the feast had begun.

Everyone was helping themselves to seconds (even thirds in Remus's case) of the tasty meal.

A loud roaring laugh from down the Gryffindor table caught Ella's attention.

Fabian Prewett. The lanky redhead was laughing loudly hitting his brothers shoulder.

He turned his head and caught Ella's eye. Her cheeks immediately felt hot and she smiled weakly.

Fabian flashed a quick smile before turning back to his friends.

"El...." James bumped her arm trying to get her attention