8

December 7th 1974

It was game day and Ella had never been less excited.

When Gideon was finished giving last minute pointers he walked over to her.

"You feeling alright?" He asked
"I guess" she responded quietly

"El" he sighed
"You are easily one of the most talented players on this team, but you're holding yourself back"

She looked at her feet unable to meet his eye
"If you go out there and try your best you cannot fail"

"Thanks" she said smiling weakly up at him
"Of course" he said, happy that she finally looked up at him.

"You're not just my teammate but my friend and I care about you" be told her making her smile grow

"On and off the field" he added. Ella nodded and took a deep breath

"Now let's do this" Gideon yelled and lead the team to the pitch.

It took Ella a bit longer to get into the groove of playing but she was finally finding her stride.

She managed to only look at Regulus once, but she hadn't been so lucky with Fabian.

She had to suck it up and work with him if they were going to win.

"On your right" she yelled to him and he swiveled hitting the approaching bludger with his bat.

He sent it flying into the Slytherin chaser, hitting him hard and smiled with satisfaction.

James and Marlene were on the top of their game scoring goal after goal while the seekers looked for the snitch.

Ella flew in the same direction as the Gryffindor seeker making sure no bludger got near him.

Regulus tailed her and as he flew by he nearly hit her. He turned looking over his shoulder and smirked, making her blood boil.

She was about to chase after him but Fabian stopped her.

"That's what he wants" he shouted
"Don't give him the satisfaction"

She nodded knowing Fabian was right and refocused on their players.

Gryffindor won by inches, their seeker grabbing the snitch seconds before Reg.

When they landed on the ground everyone celebrated their victory.

Marlene ran over and grabbed Ella in a hug kissing her all over her face, making her laugh.

James pulled her out of Marlene's arms and knelt down taking her hand in his, pulling her onto his shoulders.

He stood up and she grabbed his hair on the top of his head to keep from wobbling.

"Oi that hurts"
"You're the one who threw me up here" she shot back with a laugh

While the Gryffindor team was celebrating the Slytherin team sulked back to their team room.

Regulus stormed off the pitch first not giving anyone on the Gryffindor team a second look.

Gideon came up to congratulate James and laughed when he saw Ella on his shoulders.

"I knew you could do it" he said reaching up to high five her.

She laughed and smiled widely reaching down to him.
"I'm finally taller than you" she teased making Gideon laugh. 

Fabian walked over to his brother, placed his hand on his shoulder, and looked up at El.