Chapter 14

Tension in the house was high after the argument between Willow and Bella

Tension in the house was high after the argument between Willow and Bella. It was to the point that even Charlie commented on it. Both girls denied anything was wrong. After a few more days of not hearing from Jacob, Bella set out on a mission.

"Where are you going?" Willow questioned as Bella stormed by her in the living room with a backpack on.

"What do you care?" Bella snapped back. Willow sighed and sat her sketchbook down with an eyeroll.

"Look, I'm sorry about smacking you but we promised Charlie we would stay in the house." Willow sat up straighter and watched as Bella put her shoes on. When she was met with nothing but silence she tried again. "Bella?"

Bella sighed and turned her head back towards Willow.

"I'm going into the woods." Bella sounded annoyed.

"I'm coming with you." Willow rose from the dining room table and quickly slipped on her coat.

"No you're not." Bella ran her hand through her hair as she protested.

"Last time you went into the woods you got lost." Willow spoke calmly and slipped on her boots. "I'm coming with you."

"Willow.."

"I'm coming. You can fight me the whole way. I don't care. I'm coming with you." Willow opened the door and stood in the doorway waiting for her cousin to walk through. With another sigh Bella walked out the door and Willow followed.

The walk through the woods was a quiet one. There was nothing for the two of them to talk about. They were barely friends at this point. Willow hadn't realized how deep the rift was that had formed between them. Willow didn't know her cousin anymore. That was the sad truth.

Bella halted when they reached what looked to be a dried up field. What used to be plants were all shriveled up and brown. Unlikely for the season but not uncommon in the dry spell they were having.

"It's dead." Willow said as she continued to look around. She watched as her cousin fell to her knees and gripped the dried up roots. "Bella? Are you okay?"

"I need a reminder. Something to remind me that he existed." Bella whispered with the threat of tears forming in her eyes.

"I'm sorry Bella." Willow placed her hand on her cousin's shoulder to offer comfort. A rustle of the wind made Willow look up to see a familiar face. "Bella."

"Laurent?" Bella rose to her feet and the two girls stood beside each in a defensive stance.

"Bella. Willow." Laurent smiled like he was talking to old friends. "I must admit, I didn't expect to find you here."

"We live here." Willow retorted back.

"I thought you were in Alaska with Carlisle's friend." Bella offered a forced smile.