Chapter Eleven

The room was large and well lit by natural light coming in through the windows, washing over everything. The walls were a dark wood, the furniture a dark red, and the floor a light tan wood that looked well worn. There was a large desk by the window and lots of bookcases with pretentious looking books in them lining the walls, and there was lots of plush looking chairs for sitting and tables with fresh cut flowers on them.

All in all it looked like a pretty comfy room to stay in if you needed to spend a lot of time somewhere. And from what I was getting from Nick and how much money he was making, I'm sure he spent a lot of time sitting at that desk.

"Can I get you guys anything before we start talking? It seems your day so far has been quite busy." Nick asked as he lowered himself down into an armchair. I sat on the edge of the couch next to Jack who sat in the middle.

"Some finger food and cold drinks would be amazing." Emmit asked, kicking his feet up on one of the coffee tables. I felt a strange urge to yell at him to put his feet down; that table probably cost around half my college tuition.

Nick raised his hand and a woman who I hadn't noticed standing in the room, walked out quickly to fetch us some food an drinks. Personally all I was craving was some iced water but I was feeling very... Small here in this household. If I felt unwelcome before back at the gardener's house, I felt like an alien here.

I scooted slightly closer to Jack until our elbows were touching. He looked at me briefly and gave me a wink before turning back to Nick and Emmit.

"So they're back huh?" Nick asked, leaning back and crossing his arms over his chest.

Jack nodded solemnly and pulled the papers from his pockets. He gave them to Nick who peered over them silently as the woman from before walked into the room and set a huge tray filled with food and a pitcher of water on the coffee table. I immediatly reached forward for a bowl filled with strawberries and blueberries and shoved some in my mouth. My dad would have given me a glare for my manners but I didn't really care at the moment. I would blame my traumatic experiences for my lack of manners. That's a legit reason right?

"This is smart you two, very well thought out." Nick tossed the papers back on the table and took a sip of water. "Feel free to use my resources at your disposable. These assholes need to be taken care of once and for all."

Jack and Emmit laughed and I plopped a strawberry in my mouth, watching them talk and laugh like old friends. Slowly, I raised my hand and Nick's eyebrow went up as he gave me a nod to speak.

I looked briefly at Jack who's face was covered in curiosity as I cleared my throat. "Um, I'd be shocked if they've told you anything about me, but I'm not exactly supposed to be involved in all this." I waved my hand around and Nick tilted his head as I continued to talk. "But these guys kind of came into my dads bar, pulled out some guns, tried to kill Jack and myself, so that's kind of how I got here. However, I have no idea why or what in the world is going on." I took a deep breath and gave Jack another look before turning back to Nick. "And since neither of these two bozo's will fully explain to me what the hell I've been dragged into, I would sure appreciate it if you would shed some light on the whole situation."

Nick glared at Emmit and Jack before turning and giving me a small smile. "I'm sorry they thought it was better to keep you naive then informed. But Jack did at least tell you what happened over seas yes? Finding out that big secret?"

I nodded.

"Well he wouldn't tell me so don't ask me that question, but I can tell you the rest. Those guys trailed Jack back to the states and started following him, trying to black mail him. Eventually Jack threatened to take the news to higher ups, and that's when the first assassination attempt happened; and it wasn't the last. Jack took refuge here with Emmit to keep things from getting worse and possibly getting civilans involved, which is how I know the vast majority of all this information. My security detail wouldn't let unknown vehicles withing two miles of the property."

I turned and gave Jack a confused look. "So why did you leave here if you were safe?"

"I left because I thought I would be okay again to slowly merge myself back into society. I used a different name, didn't keep a routine, kept nothing too personal at my apartment, I was okay," Jack said rubbing his face and then he gave a small laugh and nudge Emmit. "Then this idiot saw you and Jenelle on the beach and you pretty much know the rest. But when that guy found me on the beach and I asked you to give me a ride, I realized I had made a mistake. The guy took your license plate number and started trailing you. Eventually I took care of him and they stayed away for a while, but they're never gone for long." Jack turned to me and shrugged. "I had no choice but to take you with me, like I told you before. It was either that or let them take you and do god knows what."

I pursed my lips and looked down at the ground and all I could manage was, "Oh." I didn't want to really thing what that "god knows what" meant, but I couldn't help shuttering at the thought. Those men in the kitchen were real people, but they had come across very cold. I wouldn't have put it past them to do something awful, but I didn't want to think about that. Now that I mostly knew what was going on, I was having a slightly difficult time accepting the fact that I was totally emerged in it now. I was swimming under it all, even the stuff that had happened years before Jack and I even knew of each other existence. No wonder Emmit hadn't wanted to tell me anything, he didn't really want to face the fact either that this thing that began in a completly different country with only one guy, Jack, now effected three or four others peoples as well.

I cleared my throat and took a long drink of the cold water. "So, what's in London? Why are we going there?"

Emmit smiled and took a sheet of paper off the table. "That, is where I come in. I managed to track down the guy, well company headquarters, of the people that were giving orders to kill Jack. They moved to London and are going to be holding their huge annual company ball were all the rich people parade around in gauzey outfits, drinking expensive champagne, and bragging about how much money they were making and the new houses they were buying out in the Italian countryside."

"Okay, and?" I asked, giving him a so-what face.

"Even though the mansion has heavy security, we can sneak in and finally confront the bastards."

I gave Emmit and Jack a are-you-serious look. "Seriously? That's it? You're just going to walk in and end it? Just like that?" I snapped my fingers and Jack blinked.

"Not exactly. We'll discuss more of the details on the way over to London. Emmit and I just have to make sure everything we want done, can be accomplished by the right people." Jack stood and offered me his hand which I ignored and remained seated.

Nick chuckled and looked at me. "While these two go over their plans would you like me to show you to your room? I can offer you a nice hot shower and the most amazing down comforter, you'll feel like you're laying on a cloud."

I sprang out of my seat and beamed. "That is an offer I cannot refuse." I took his arm and we led me out of the room. I glanced back at Jack who was giving me a funny look and Emmit who was looking at Jack impatiently. "Nick, would you happen to have any clothes that would fit me? Jack was rather inconsiderate when packing and forgot any clothes for me."

Nick laughed and nodded. "I think I can send someone to go find something that will fit you." He stopped in front of a wooden door and smiled. "If you need anything just ring the bell." He walked away down the hallway, whistling a low tune to himself and I pushed open the door.