Chapter 22

I fixed my hair and makeup which surprisingly only took me 35 minutes. I went for the simple, glamorous kind of look that models have where you notice they're wearing make up, but it's not crazy and overdone like they're trying to hard. Under some kind of miracle, I managed to reciprocate it.

I walked out of the bathroom and toward my closet and took the garment bag and laid it down on the bed. Ever since we got here I had refused to open it, wanting the moment to be a complete surprise.. Slowly I unzipped it and gasped.

"Oh Emmit... You have some great taste." I drew the dress out of the bag and almost cried because of how beautiful and elegant it was.

I slipped it on carefully, stepped into my white, close-toed, pumps, and looked at myself in the full-length mirror and smiled. It was a white gown with a satiny, silk skirt, and a lace top. There was a deep V-neck that was satin and lace, and then my sleeves were a sheer type of fabric with lace on it too. The back was open and the lace-satin fabric draped down to rest above my waist and there was eve a small little train behind me. The dress hugged my hips and torso, showing my curves and complimenting my height perfectly. I had piled my hair up into a bun and put on some simple diamond and pearl earrings to keep it all simple, elegant, and classy. I wanted to look nice, and looking like some kind of hoe at a ball where I had a feeling I could meet anyone, was not the impression I wanted to make.

I heard my phone buzz and looked to see it was Nathan telling me he was waiting downstairs outside with the car. I grabbed a white satin clutch that matched the dress, and hurried out the hotel room and downstairs.

When the elevator doors opened, I swear all eyes in the room turned towards me. I held my head up high and thought about how Jack would be dying if he saw me right now, and all the people looking at me. The doorman opened my door with a smile and a nod with the tip of his hat.

Nate turned around and his face broke into a massive grin. "You look absolutely stunning Alli." He kissed my cheek and grinned.

I gave him a quick once over and smiled at him. He looked incredible in his tux, fitting perfectly to his body and making him look powerful and intimidating; but one smile at me and I wasn't intimidated at all. "You look devilishly handsome yourself."

He smiled and placed his hand on the small of my back, making me shiver at his warm touch. "Are you ready love?"

"You have no idea." We walked over to a waiting limo and a man opened my door and I climbed in.

"Did you have another fight with that guy?" Nate asked, concern crossing his face as he climbed in and sat across from me.

I ran my hand over the leather seats and shrugged. "It was nothing, he's just an idiot."

Nate laughed. "He had to have been to let you go." He scanned my body again and I blushed at his smile. "God Alli, you truly are stunning."

I smiled, and glanced out the window at the city passing by and all the people gawking at the limo. I used to be one of those people, the gawkers, and now I was actually inside one in a crazy expensive gown, with a crazy attractive guy, going to a crazy event. "Thank you again for inviting me out this evening. If it wasn't for you I'd still be sitting in my hotel room bored out of my mind."
Nate nodded at me smiling. "It was my pleasure. Seeing you in that dress and knowing you're happy is worth it."

We rode in a comfortable silence for about an hour, Nate taking random calls and texts and e-mails, apologizing each time he had to take one. I didn't mind though, I spent most of my time watching the scenery outside; at the city, then the towns, and then the rolling countryside. It was all breathtaking and I couldn't peel my eyes away from the window, even when Nate did address me.

"You've never seen this kind of nature before?" Nate asked, curiosity playing in his voice.
I shook my head. "I lived on a beach, surrounded by mountains. I've never seen a flat plain in my life. Its so... Incredible." Nate chuckled and turned back to his phone, typing away at a new e-mail.

We arrived soon after entering the countryside, and I was shocked to see the building the driver was taking us to was the one I saw in Emmit's photographs. There were expensive looking cars and limos pulling in and out of the driveway so I assumed we were going to the right place and it wasn't a mistake, but I felt the need to ask anyways.
"This is where the ball is?" I asked Nate, pointing to the mansion.
He nodded, eyes still focused on his phone.

"Hmmm..." I sat back against the seat and waited impatiently as the driver brought us around and up to the front steps. The mansion was old and Victorian, nothing like Emmit's father's whose house I would have been dying to be in right now. It was so much more comfortable and homey than this place and all these people. I missed my purple room.

The driver opened my door and Nate got out first, then turned and held his hand out to me as I stepped out after him, holding my dress up so I wouldn't trip. Lights were slowly being turned on as the sun set over the hills, creating a calm, somewhat romantic atmosphere.

"Are you ready my dear?" Nate asked, holding out his arm.
I took it and nodded, taking a deep breath as we walked up the large stone steps. He nodded to the doorman who let him pass without a word or question about an invitation, which I thought was a little strange but I didn't ask him about it.

We strolled right in and I don't think I will ever forget what happened after the doors opened for us like they do in movies and we walked in to the sound of a live band playing the end of a ballad.