Chapter 2

Jack and I weren't dating. He made that very clear it was never going to happen, despite the fact we were always in each others company. Even Jenelle and Emmet were surprised how much Jack and I hung out. We even started working together...

  "Alli?" Jack asked me, as we sat on a park bench under the shade of a tree, me licking an ice cream cone and him sipping a soda, a hat pulled down over his face.

  "Hmm?" I answered, transfixed on the cold, sugary goodness I was currently consuming. 

  "Is your dad hiring by chance at the bar?"

I turned and looked at him, raising an eyebrow. "Why do you ask?"

  "I kind of need a job and I've had experience bartending before-" I held up my hand and he stopped talking.

  "I don't do the interview process, you'd have to go in and ask my dad. Hiring you isn't up to me." I said, resuming the devourment of my ice cream.

He nodded and leaned back on the bench, taking a drink of his soda. I saw him glance at me out of the corner of my eye and he started laughing. "You and that ice cream cone must be going very steady, that's a lot of tongue." 

I turned and looked at him. "Its a friends with benefits kind of relationship. Except I'm the only one getting the benefits..." I took my finger, scooped up some ice cream, and hit Jack's nose with it. I laughed at his facial expression as he squirted soda at me, but missed.

  "I'm going to get you Alli!" he shouted playfully as I sprinted across the park, laughing. I tossed my cone in a trash can as I ran, and turned around to see where Jack was. I couldn't find him and slammed into someone, falling on the ground and scrapping my elbows.

  "Oh! I'm so sorry sir!" I said, looking at the posh looking man in front of me. He wore a light blue suit and a white shirt and brown leather shoes.

He gave me a look. "Its alright. Oh! Are you alright Miss...?"

  "Carter. Alli Carter. And I think I'll be okay, nothing serious." I said, smiling at him. 

He shook his head. "Come with me, I have some medical supplies in my car right over there. I'm a doctor." He took my arm softly and softly pulled me towards his car. I looked around fro Jack, but still didn't see him. Oh well, I'd find him eventually. 

 He opened his trunk and pulled out a medical supply box. He instructed me to sit on the edge and he cleaned up the wounds.

  "There, all better." he smiled softly at me. 

  "Thank you! I'm sorry I didn't catch your name." I said, standing.

He closed the trunk and looked at me. "Doctor Peter Sannders." I shook his hand.

  "Thank you again Mr. Sannders, and I'm so sorry I ran into you. Have a nice day." I smiled and walked away.

I was halfway across the park when Jack emerged from behind a tree.

  "What happened to you? I couldn't find you at all." I scolded, crossing my arms.

  "Who was that man you ran into?" Jack asked softly, pulling me away from the sidewalk and away from the people.

  "Some Doctor who fixed up my arms." I snapped, pulling away from him.

  "But what was his name?" Jack pressed.

  "Doctor Peter Sannders he told me."

Jack's eyes widened, then narrowed. "Come on, its time to go." He pulled me away and pulled his hat down lower.

  "Jack? Jack? What's wrong?" I asked as he pulled me along through the park. He didn't say anything, just kept walking, looking around. "Jack!" I pulled him to a stop, demanding an answer.

  "That man works for the people I told you about, the bad people?" he shot me a warning look.

  "Oh." Was all I said, and he started walking again.

I didn't say anything as we walked along, his hand wrapped tightly around my upper arm, as we walked along.

  "Jack, you can let go of my arm." I whispered softly.

He didn't let go, so I took my hand and pried his fingers from around my arm. I held his hand tightly in mine, and he looked at me. I smiled reassuringly and he looked away and let go of my hand.

I pursed my lips, but I didn't say anything. I had figured out that any romantic gesture was a push for him, even hand holding.

We reached the bar and pushed open the door. It was somewhat busy, with people sitting at the tables eating cheeseburgers and drinking beer. My dad was standing behind the counter, watching the people, when I turned to Jack.

  "So, you wanted to know about that job?"

                                     ****************************************************************

I paced in my bedroom above the bar's office, knowing that bellow Jack was being interviewed for a job position to work for my father and be a waiter. I'd love for him to get the job, but I wasn't sure my father would give it to him. We already had enough on staff, and I wasn't sure if my dad wanted to higher another person.

  Finally, I gave up waiting and I ran downstairs just in time for the office door to open and my father and Jack to step out.

  "Alli, what in the world were you doing up there?" my dad asked.

I shrugged. "Oh, you know, just, learning how to dance and running around like a gymnast." I said.

He laughed and walked away towards the front of the bar.

  "Well?" I asked Jack.

  "So, what do I have to wear again to be a waiter?" he asked.

I beamed and laughed and hugged him. "That's great! Are you ready for training tomorrow?" I gave him a devious look.

  "Oh no. What's that look for?" he asked.

  "Nothing, nothing, just... Be ready." I smiled and walked off, laughing at all the things he must be thinking of.