Chapter One

A week went by and I hadn't heard from Jack. I told Jenelle what happened, but she didn't believe any part of it. She was still going out with Emmit (which surprised me greatly) and they occasionally came to the bar. I tried to ask Emmit what his and Jack's relationship was, but he never answered. I asked where Jack was, and he told me around. It was getting quiet frustrating.

  I bustled around the counter in my tank top and jeans, cleaning glasses and handing them out just as fast. It was Friday night and the bar was getting busy. Jenelle and Emmit walked in, and to my surprise Jack walked in behind them. I told two people at the corner who were just sitting to get a table to talk or scram, and they left. Jenelle, Emmit, and Jack came and sat down in front of me.

  "Lookin sexy Alli." Jenella said with a wink.

I rolled my eyes. "Hey Emmit." we nodded at each other. "Long time no see Jack." He was wearing a black sweatshirt and khaki shorts. I thought he must be incredibly hot in that, seeing as how I was sweating. Then again, I was working my butt off.

  "Yeah." Jack mumbled.

I gave Jenelle and Emmit their drinks, and Jack again said he wanted nothing. I served the rest of the bar, and started an intresting conversastion with an old man who had been in the Vitenam War.

  "And right when I thought I was going to die, that every step was certainly going to be my last, I found an ally solider and he dragged me to his camp. I never prayed so hard in my life."

  "Are you and that soldier still friends?" I asked, rubbing the same glass I had been for the past 10 minutes.

  "No, he died a few years ago. We were friends ever since then though."

I nodded, and set the glass down. "That was an incredible story."

  "Thank you for listening young lady, but I have to be running. Stay sober!" he tossed some money on the counter, and left. I laughed and pocketed the money.

  "Alli!" Jenelle called me over.

  "Yeah?"

  "Emmit and I are leaving. Thanks doll." Emmit paid and they left. Jack gave me a smirk.

  "I think I'll have that drink now."

I chuckled. "You got it."

He stayed there the rest of the night, with his one drink, until closing. My dad was about to ask him to leave when I interupted and said he was a friend. He gave me a curious look, but left us alone. I took off my apron and went to the other side of the counter and sat next to him.

  "So where have you been all week?" I asked him.

  "Around the area, keeping low." he said, avioding looking at me.

  "Care to tell me why?" I prodded.

He shook his head. "I can't Alli, I'm sorry."

  "Why can't you tell me." he didn't answer. I nudged him. "Look at me and answer my question!"

He turned, a smile playing on his lips. "Forceful little one aren't we?" he sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I can't tell you because I'm afraid if you know, if they even think you know, they'll come after you, and you would be gone like that." he snapped and I flinched.

  "Whose they?"

  "You ask to many questions."

  "You provide to many vague answers."

We starred at each other. "They are bad people, with big guns, no feelings, and will retrive what ever they sent for, no matter what the means."

  "And they've been sent for you?"