Chapter 18

"So I'm guessing that was the guy?" Nate asked as we turned onto a busy street road.

"Yeah..." I mumbled, looking out the window.

Nate was silent for a moment before saying, "He looked like an ass."

I burst out laughing and Nate smiled at me. "So, have you ever been to London before?"

"Nope, all I've seen is the airport and the hotel. The view is killer though from my room." I told him, relaxing in my seat.

"Well what would you like to see in this beautiful city Alli? I'll take you wherever your heart desires."

I turned to him and a smile slowly spread across my face. "This probably sounds super cheesy and touristy, but can we go to the London Eye? I promised my dad- Wait!" I grabbed his arm and Nate gave me a concerned look, keeping one eye on the road. "I need a phone. To send him the pictures."

We stopped at a red light and Nate reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone. "Here, use mine. I just got it this morning, I don't have anything on it." I gave him a curious look as I took the phone. "I dropped mine in a pond last night and I needed a new one."

I giggled but accepted the phone and unlocked the screen. I typed my dad's number in and then just stared it at. I hadn't talked to him in days. I hadn't been allowed to talk to him in days. I missed him with a terrible ache, but was now really the time to call? I guess you can't really send a picture of the London Eye to your dad without calling him first though.

I hit the little phone call button and put the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" A deep voice answered.

"Dad?" Silence. "Dad, it's Alli."

"What are you doing calling me? Is everything alright?" He asked. I was taken aback. I haven't talked to my dad in almost a week after being taken from his restaurant late at night because of a gun fight Jack and I caused, and this is what he says to me?

"Uh, yeah dad. I thought you'd be a little more concerned that we haven't talked in a couple days, but it's nice to hear your voice too. You'll never believe where I am, London!" I gave a nervous laugh and I heard my dad sigh.

"Alli I miss you like crazy, but are you sure it's safe to talk? Did Jack give you the phone?"

"Uh, no but-"

"I've got to go sweetie, but call me when you're back home. Send me some pictures, I love you Alli Cat." He hung up and I stared at the phone. Two minutes and six seconds. I call my dad after almost a week and we only talk for two minutes.

"Everything alright?" Nate asked, giving me a concerned look.

I took a deep breath and smiled at him. "Yeah, he was just busy with work and couldn't really talk."

Nate nodded and started pointing out some of the buildings we were driving past and I nodded along to his comments, appreciating the beautiful architecture and history that London held. But the entire time I still couldn't get the question off my mind, what was wrong with my dad?

*************

My face was plastered against the glass as the little bubble rose into the sky. It was a beautiful, cloudless day and as we rose higher I could see the city for miles.

I took picture after picture and Nate laughed at my giddy excitement. His laugh sent butterflies into my stomach and I blushed again. He wrapped his arm around my waist, and while normally I would have found this sudden interation strange and something to be cautious of, I just smiled up at Nate and moved an inch closer to him. He was warm and inviting and I enjoyed the feel of his arm around me.