Chapter 5. The First Awakening

When Raymond had reached the age of six, on a cool autumn morn at the break of dawn, Minacomori led him deep into the forest. They descended to the lake, where a winding path plunged sharply downward, with the mighty exposed roots of pines and birches as steps. The boy was wholly engrossed in the descent process while his grandmother spoke of days gone by, the endless journey, and the beauty of the path. She recounted tales of her childhood when several groups of Cantarians would gather to perform the Song of Rapture. On the nights of such celebrations, marriages were sealed, disputes resolved, and farewells bidden to the departed. Youths found love, adults discovered peace and tranquility, and the youngest of children awoke for the first time naturally – on the water.

Minacomori waved her gnarled fingers, and upon the lake's mirror-like surface, a delicate ripple spread as if a gust of wind had burst forth from the heavens, though the air was utterly still

Minacomori waved her gnarled fingers, and upon the lake's mirror-like surface, a delicate ripple spread as if a gust of wind had burst forth from the heavens, though the air was utterly still. The little boy heard a wondrous melody, the yellowing leaves of the birch trees shuddering as one, their rustling interwoven with the magical sounds. The water trembled and sang, its slender threads soaring into the air, the rays of the dawning sun frolicking within the babbling streams, casting a thousand rainbows in the translucent jets that intertwined into a glistening cocoon. The air began to quiver and pulsate, distorting the light and rendering the sound voluminous, viscous, and all-pervasive. Raymond experienced rapture and awe, his heart pounding fiercely as his body succumbed to the ancient dance.

"Follow the flow," whispered Minacomori, seating herself upon a stone by the water's edge.

Ray began to mimic the rhythm, feeling the cocoon amid the lake dance as his hands and feet moved of their own accord to the enchanting music. The water beneath his feet bubbled and lifted the child into the air, transparent pillars of fountains spiraling skyward, baring the silt and emerald algae, his body held captive in a mesmerizing stillness, the sweetest tremor coursing through every cell. The boy felt as though he emitted vibrations. Finally, the water yielded to his will. The cocoon unfolded before him, a whirlwind of threads enveloping the child, little red-finned fish and carps caught in the watery webs writhing helplessly in mid-air, sunbeams sparkling in a myriad of droplets. Bliss and happiness overcame the child. For a moment, he merged with the world entirely, fancying himself the master of the music.

 For a moment, he merged with the world entirely, fancying himself the master of the music