Chapter 13: The White Witch

After a night of wakefulness in the bakery and a long journey, Raymond slept the sleep of the dead. The emerald field concealed him from the eyes of chance passers-by, and only the stars gazed down from the boundless celestial vault. Wrapped in a brocade coverlet and resting on a bag, the boy nestled amongst the tall stalks and fell into a sweet slumber. The branches of the cotton intertwined, crafting a nest-like haven. Neither the cool breeze, nor the mosquitoes, nor the rigid twigs disturbed him – pleasant fatigue overcame such trifles.

 Neither the cool breeze, nor the mosquitoes, nor the rigid twigs disturbed him – pleasant fatigue overcame such trifles

Awakening late in the morning, Ray spread out the coverlet and began to break his fast. First, he devoured a pastry filled with egg and cheese, then one with pear, followed by another pear-filled delight, and one with honeyed carrot, and yet another with cheese. Afterward, he emptied a flask of cool water, which still held a faint taste of wine, sighed languidly, and stretched out upon the coverlet.

"How wondrous it is to tread the path of adventure," the boy thought sweetly. As he stared at the pink, fluffy clouds, adventure found its path to him – a white silhouette captured his attention. The fragile hope that it was a swan vanished instantly, for the figure raced swiftly downward, assuming the form of a young maiden. "A witch," thought the boy, "for respectable folk do not fly above the clouds in the mornings." The skyfarer circled above his encampment and alighted somewhere on the road. Raymond began to harbor the hope that she might pass him by, but soon the morning stranger appeared amidst the emerald stalks.

The girl's light dress, gracefully embroidered with silver thread, though noticeably worn and faded, still retained a glimmer of its former opulence. A dense hooded cloak had been skillfully adapted for flight: sleeves with wide leather straps were sewn into the cloak's sides, and below, above the fur trim, two deep pockets were provided for the legs. Thus, during flight, the cape did not flap about like a rag but glided smoothly through the air like a wing. The girl's pale face was veiled by a gossamer spider-silk scarf, worn to the point of tatters. It was evident that the noble lady had been living in great hardship.

The visitor removed her hood and took off her scarf, for in Els, it was considered impolite to address someone with one's face concealed. And Raymond saw that the fair-haired maiden with blue eyes sparkling like summer skies was quite attractive. Yet her beauty did not scream but tenderly whispered, emphasizing her modesty. Her figure resembled that of a swan, and this grace was only heightened by her every movement.

"Greetings, child," the girl said, courteously bowing.

"Do not touch me, witch," Ray grabbed his bag, involuntarily attempting to shield himself from the uninvited guest. He knew that the awakened were deliberately maligned, and he was one of the awakened. But his first thought was that she would try to rob him.

"Well, you are a rude one, boy. Be it known to you that those who have awakened twice are called miraclists," the stranger replied, displeased.

"What brings you here at such an early hour?" Raymond inquired suspiciously.