Chapter 9: The Forbidden Miracle

The innkeeper was named Iris, as beautiful and rare name as she was herself. Albert had been long acquainted with her. The hero of tournaments had often dedicated victories to her, although he seldom could spare the time for meetings. Yet now, Iris was preoccupied – she had recently inherited the tavern but managed it quite capably alone. Elsizar was a small town where little occurred. Due to the Inquisition, there was no crime, but the number of tavern visitors dwindled more and more.

 Due to the Inquisition, there was no crime, but the number of tavern visitors dwindled more and more

The maiden extracted the tenderest sounds from a small guitar. Upon seeing Albert, she greeted him warmly and began to inquire about news. Hearing of Minacomori's death, she offered her condolences. Iris was as lovely as a sunbeam on an early summer day. Serene yet piercing eyes, like lakes, beckoned with their beauty. With each movement, her soft golden curls quivered like delicate petals. Raymond had never seen such women, although he had visited Elsizar often, helping his father trade pastries. Yet, somehow, Isidore always managed to converse only with foolish, plump marketplace women...

Iris served the knight cold mutton with stewed carrots and the boy with some apples, dry gingerbread, and milk. Finishing their meal, the brothers set out to explore the town. After all, it was a wonderful spring day, and the sun's streams, flowing through the tavern windows like rivulets of gold, enticed them outside.

 After all, it was a wonderful spring day, and the sun's streams, flowing through the tavern windows like rivulets of gold, enticed them outside

The elder brother devised a simple game; as they strolled through the town, he suggested they search for dwarves. This was particularly amusing, as dwarves were called Aklorians, which could be translated as "the hiding folk." Wandering the winding alleys of Elsizar, Raymond merrily scrutinized passersby in search of short people. Eventually, they found a great many dwarves – a whole two of them. This was indeed fortunate, as dwarves usually did not leave their underground fortresses. The first was a middle-aged man with an enormous golden medallion shaped like the Sun.

"A gnome!" Raymond cheerfully cried out.

Hearing him, the sun-worshiper glared menacingly at the brothers, his eyes flashing brightly. Albert had left his armor at the tavern, and nothing about him betrayed his knightly status. Thus, the dwarf, unembarrassed, threatened them with his fist and turned away in the offense. Albert noticed the second dwarf and whispered softly to the boy: