the light

chapter two
'the light'

☢︎

☢︎

Daniella's grasp tightened around the handle of her gun as she tried to make her way up the stairs as quietly as she could.

Her senses became sharper as she approached the dead man on the aged staircase. She was supposed to meet Marlene in one of the worn-out buildings that were left vacant by FEDRA and were supposed to be unobtrusive and safe.

Seeing a fresh corpse was something that Daniella did not expect to see in that specific building.

Her brain started to work on a survival instinct, trying to think of the reasons behind the ambush. Marlene was known for her job within Fireflies and her deals with smugglers but she was also known to be a big pain in the ass and a deal-breaking cunt.

Daniella would not be shocked to see her dead.

Shocked? No.
Pissed? Yes.

She wanted to finish her deal.

Her steps were slow and very well thought through as she was making her way up. Her breath was steady, twenty years in the post-the apocalyptic world taught her how to keep herself calm.

Daniella slowly stepped over another dead body as she finally entered the floor she was supposed to meet Marlene. "What the fuck happened here?" She spoke out loud after seeing Marlene, Joel, and Joel's partner Tess, who seemed badly beaten up, pointing guns at each other. "It's me, calm down." She rolled her eyes as her presence made all of them point their guns at her.

"Daniella." Marlene breathed out, a little sign of relief appearing on her face.

"Hello to you too." Daniella nodded, her gun still tightly in her grasp. "Busy day I suppose?" An amused smirk appeared on her face as her stare gazed all over the dead bodies in the corridor. "Why the fuck do you have a kid in here?" She questioned as her eyes fell on the young girl sitting on the ground, killing every single adult with her stare.

Her question was left unnoticed as Joel's partner, Tess made her way closer to all of them. "This is who Robert screwed us with?" She scoffed. "The Che Guevara of Boston? War must be going pretty shitty for you to be buying from scumbags like him."

Daniella sighed and put away her gun, listening to the woman in front of her.

"Yeah, it kinda has been." Marlene, who was holding her injured waist, scoffed. "The merch was bad, and he obviously didn't take 'fuck off' for an answer."

The girl on the ground finally spoke up. "Give me my knife." She said to Joel, who was keeping it safe underneath his boot.

"What do you need a car battery for?" The older man asked, pointing a gun at the girl who tried to take back what was hers. "Don't." He warned her with a stern face.