trouble

chapter five
'trouble'

☢︎

☢︎

The air was damp when they opened the entrance to a hotel lobby. To the three adults, it was nothing new as all of them knew that the lobby basically became a pond over the last couple of years.

Water was pouring down from the damaged ceiling, ducks were swimming around and water lettuce was unhurriedly growing over the water's surface. Daniella unintentionally loved the scenery.

Her hand pushed away a couple of vines that were blocking the entrance and held it up so the others could step inside.

"You've gotta be kidding me!"

It was refreshing to see someone feel so ecstatic just at the sight of an old hotel. Daniella was secretly enjoying Ellie's company, she was like a breath of fresh air to her.

Ellie turned around to face the adults, not even bothering to hide her enthusiasm. "You ever stay in a place like this?"

Tess shook her head. "No, a little out of our league."

"Worked in one though," Daniella replied, her hand tightly grasping the strap of her backpack as she winked at the girl.

Joel looked at the women before moving his gaze to the teenager. "How do you even know what this is?"

"Have you heard of books?" Ellie raised her eyebrows, a smug smirk appearing on her face as she stared the man up and down. "Wait, are we going in there?" Her voice was higher than before, with a hint of anxiety appearing in her tone.

Daniella looked at the girl who was still standing at the top of the stairs. "See that stairwell?" She nodded her head. "We need to get there."

At that Ellie awkwardly looked away, her gaze falling to her old sneakers. "I-i don't know how to swim." She admitted, having trouble with maintaining eye contact.

"Seriously?" Joel groaned.

The teen scoffed at his reaction. "Do you think we have pools in the QZ?" She snapped back.

"No, smart ass." He pinched his lips and 'jumped' into the water, showing that it only reached his mid-thigh.

The girl watched the two women step into the water before following them. "I don't know how I was supposed to know that." She murmured, earning an amused snort from Daniella. "This is so gross."

It was gross. Daniella hated staying in wet clothes, especially jeans and she hated unknown waters, no matter if it was only a bunch of rainwater in a hotel lobby. She slowly followed Joel and Tess, flinching when she felt something touch her leg under the water. Her eyes quickly fell on the couple in front of her, hoping that they haven't noticed her sudden hop.