runaway

chapter three
'runaway'

☢︎

☢︎

Daniella stole a few glances at the girl in front of her as she watched her expressions and her reaction to the book she was reading.

A longing ache burned inside of her chest as she thought of her siblings.

"Do you think he knows he mumbles?" Ellie spoke up, surprising the woman.

"What?" Daniella blinked, trying to snap out of her thoughts.

Ellie nodded at sleeping the man sleeping on the couch. "He mumbles."

The brown-haired woman looked at sleeping Joel before clearing her throat. "Most people don't know." She said. "I sometimes talk in my sleep." She admitted, her eyes going back to the book in her lap. "Or at least I used to, I don't know if I still do." She mumbled the last sentence quietly.

But she couldn't read anymore as it got dark outside. And her eyesight wasn't as good as it used to be. A few raindrops fell on the window, making her look up from the closed book. Joel's apartment had a good view of the scenery behind the QZ wall, showing what was hiding out there.

Her thoughts were cut short by a sudden gasp coming from the sleeping man on the couch. He woke up just minutes after the rain started.

"You mumble in your sleep."

Ellie said immediately after she noticed that Joel was awake. "I've never been on the other side of the wall." She continued talking, leaning against the chair Daniella was sitting on. "Look how dark it is."

Daniella frowned, sympathizing with the teen. She knew how difficult it must've been for her to persuade herself to leave everything she had ever known and go outside.

"You guys go out there a lot?"

Joel and Danielle exchanged unknown stares, not sure what to answer.

"I guess," Joel answered with an unamused voice.

Ellie nodded. "When was the last time?"

"Maybe a year."
"Probably a month."

The two adults looked at each other once again, surprised by both of their answers. Ellie watched them with an amused look, seeing how both of them wanted to feel superior in front of each other.

"What's it matter?" Joel spoke up, breaking the stare.

The girl shrugged "You know where to go." she said in a small voice. "So we're gonna be okay."

A heavy silence entered the apartment as Ellie's words reached their ears. The two of them knew the risks but neither of them was ready to admit them to a child. Especially when they were supposed to be the ones taking care of her.