Chapter 6

Chapter 6

We followed the poor woman afterwards, following a trail of sorrow and depression. I felt empty, my torso hollow. My heart felt as if it was in my throat, my lungs shriveled up. I wanted to die. Katrina didn't deserve it, she hadn't ever done anything wrong. I don't feel like I deserve to live at this moment, I should've been the one dead.

We stopped at the place where Katrina's mother knelt next to her dead daughter. I turned quickly, not wanting to look. I couldn't handle this, not anymore. I ran back to the house, grabbed a knife out of the drawer, and placed the sharp tip gently in the middle of my chest-on top of where my heart should be. I hadn't know that Emma had followed me back to the house, and the door burst open and she nearly tackled me, but careful enough so she wouldn't accidentally make me stab myself. She was on the verge of tears, opening her mouth to yell at me. She stopped and looked at me with her puppy eyes. I dropped the knife and ran to her. She had saved my life. I would've been dead on the floor for a matter of seconds by now.

****

We sat down at the kitchen table. We started picking at the little splinters when I got one stuck in my index finger. I made a quiet shriek escape my gritted teeth, but that was the least of my problems. Emma and I looked up when the door opened. Shoot. It was my mother. She saw how dirty Emma and I were, and noticed that the other girls weren't there and that Katrina's mother wasn't there. I had no words, I couldn't explain any of this. The horror in her eyes said it all- she already knew what was going on.

"I saw the news this morning." She took a deep breath and gulped heavily. Her eyes started tearing as she slammed her keys down on the table violently and plopped her self down heavily on the dark wooden chair. Her head smacked onto the table and she lifted it up on the the soft sleeve of her trench coat. I got up and repeated her actions, but a little less violently. I weakly placed my hand on her back, feeling the warmth of the coat myself. Emma walked over to me and hugged me, and I swung myself up and did the same.

"Everything's gonna be okay, Sky. It may be bad-terrible- now, but it will get better. I am so lucky to have you as a friend." Her words poured out sweetly, as if she was reciting a poem. That's one of the things I've always loved about Emma. She had the ability to make anyone listen.