Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I was hoping through the trees when I sighed.

I looked down and stared at the ground getting lost in thought. 

I don't know exactly how long it's been since I left camp training myself independently to become a better warrior. All I know is that it's been almost a whole year.

Surprisingly I was living a rather peaceful life, killing monsters that were in my way, having time alone to train, and not having any annoying gods bothering me, life couldn't be better.

I trained almost every day since you never know when you could meet another monster.

While I was learning how to swiftly travel through the trees, I felt completely at ease in them. Well, not at first. I really struggled to climb them, but after a while, I learned how to walk in the branches. And after a few months, I became a part of the trees. Running as fast as I could on the ground, in the trees, never falling or breaking stride when things got in my way.

And that is how I began to train as I traveled randomly across the world. As I was training I became faster and more agile. I also took op the liberty of learning new things in my free time. I didn't get anything right the first time. But I got some help with some trial and error.

I learned that being fast was a good thing out here. The faster I can kill monsters the easier leaving and escaping will be. It also helps with a lot of things like scavenging hunting and just a way to exercise. 

I learned how to make some makeshift tools to help me out here. I learned how to make a spear, It didn't exactly go as planned the first time I tried to use a spear though. Let's just say I was never going to wear my favorite sweater again.

I learned how to make a makeshift hammer, which was pretty easy if I say so myself.

I also learned how to make a bow, which took forever. I took up the challenge of trying to teach myself how to shoot. It was a disaster.

I've seen kindergartners shoot better, but I have improved my ability a bit. I don’t shoot behind me anymore. I can hit a target occasionally, but I don’t ever get any bullseyes, but progress. 

I also learned how to make clothes. Because after a while, my current ones became too torn to be useful. So I used the remaining pieces to make string. I carved needles from either bone or twigs, it depends on whatever I had on hand. I used animal hides as fabric since I had nothing else. It was pretty ugly to look at, at first, but I got better, since I already knew a little by watching my mom make things before… the incident.

So I trained myself in sewing when I was bored. I don’t think my work would win any gold medals, but It didn't look like I was just wearing animals tied together by a few pieces of string, I actually learned how to make it look like actual clothes with some of the fur.

Life here was peaceful.

But, suddenly the peace was disturbed by the sound of a phone ringing.

I sighed and picked up the phone.

I already knew who it was, since no one else knew my number.

"Hi, Tyson. What do you want buddy?" 

“Brother? School’s about to start can you…?”

“Yeah,” I said with a smile on my face. “I’ll be there and meet you at the subway station, like last time.”

“Thank you, big brother.”

I smiled and hung up the phone.

For the past few weeks, I’ve been going to Meriwether College Prep to be with my brother, Tyson. Even though I decided I didn't really want to go to school, I couldn't leave Tyson. He needed me and I had to be there for him, even if that meant I had to suffer through school all over again. I couldn't pass up the chance to leave him, Tyson is important to me.