Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Annabeth was waiting for us in an alley down Church Street. She pulled Tyson and me off the sidewalk just as a fire truck screamed past, heading for Meriwether Prep.

"Where'd you find him?" she demanded, pointing towards Tyson.

"He's my friend," I told her offended.

"Is he homeless?"

"What does that have to do with anything? You can’t just ask people that. At Least you should have some common courtesy and ask him yourself."

She looked surprised. "He can talk?"

"I can talk," Tyson admitted. "You are pretty."

"Ah! Gross!" Annabeth stepped away from him.

I couldn't believe she was being so rude. Sure Tyson was a cyclops, but he was my friend. No, even that he was my brother.

"I'm surprised the Laistrygonians, The monsters in the gym, had the guts to attack you with him around. They're a race of giant cannibals who live in the far north. Odysseus ran into them once, but I've never seen them as far south as New York before."

Tyson seemed fascinated by Annabeth's blond hair. He tried to touch it, but she smacked his hand away.

"Laistrygonians… the Canadians?" I asked unsurely.

She smiled at me pleased that I remembered.

"Now come on, we have to get out of here. The police will be after you.”

“Uh… about that, they actuall-”

"That's the least of our problems," she said interrupting me. "Have you been having dreams?"

"The dreams ... about Grover, or the ones about camp?"

Her face turned pale. "Grover? No, what about Grover?"
]
I told her a summary of my dream.

Her eyes turned stormy like her mind was racing a million miles an hour.

"Camp," she said at last. "Big trouble at camp, we can’t worry about grover, right now camp needs us. Like yesterday."

“What kind of trouble?"

"I don't know exactly. Something's wrong. We have to get there right away. Monsters have been chasing me all the way from Virginia, trying to stop me. Have you had a lot of attacks?"

I shook my head. "None all year ... until today."

"None? But how ..." Her eyes drifted to Tyson. "Oh."

Tyson raised his hand like he was still in class. "Canadians in the gym called Percy something ... Son of the Sea God? Does that mean Percy is really my brother"

“Yeah, I was serious when I called you my brother, big guy. And even if you weren’t my actual brother, I would still consider you one.”

A siren wailed. A police car raced past our alley.

"We don't have time for this," Annabeth said. "We'll talk in the taxi."

"A taxi all the way to camp?" I said. "But-"

"Trust me."

I hesitated. "I’m not looking forward to this.”

I imagined escorting my giant friend into Camp Half-Blood. Would it be as bad as last time? Would Annabeth act worse or better than last time? What if she acted the same? Would Tyson be able to stay in my cabin with me? Will we still do the chariot races? Will Tantalus give Clarrise the quest? Would Tantalus’s food run away from him?

"We can't just leave him," I decided, after getting my mind back on track. "He might get into trouble. Especially with Matt being thee.” I mumbled.

"Yeah." Annabeth looked grim. "We definitely need to take him. Now come on."