Chapter 11

Chapter 11

When I woke up, i was in a rowboat with a makeshift sail made out of gray uniform fabric and Clarisse sitting next to me.

I tried to sit up and immediately felt woozy.

"Rest," she said. "You're going to need it."

"Tyson...? Did I get him? I don’t-"

She shook her head. "He’s fine."

“Yup, brother came back for me.” Tyson said with a bright smile.

“Oh.” I mumbled befor laying back down.

We were silent as the waves tossed us up and down.

Clarrisese showed me some things they salvaged from the wreckage, like Hermes's thermos (now empty), a Ziploc bag full of ambrosia, money (drachma and bills), a couple of sailors' shirts, and a bottle of Dr Pepper. She also showed me the bag that I was carrying, which was still full of supplies. which was honestly a miracle all things considered.

We sailed for hours. Now that we were in the Sea of Monsters, the water glittered a more brilliant green, like Hydra acid. The wind smelled fresh and salty, but it carried a strange metallic scent, too, as if a thunderstorm were coming. Or something even more dangerous. I knew what direction we needed to go. I knew we were exactly one hundred thirteen nautical miles west by northwest of our destination. But that didn't make me feel any less lost.

No matter which way we turned, the sun seemed to shine straight into my eyes. We took turns sipping from the Dr Pepper, and ocassionaly, when I felt up to it, i collected some of the water from the ocean and purrified it so it was safe to drink. We made sure to keep some of the shade over ourselves, which we did by usisng the sail as best we could. And we talked about my latest dream of Grover, we had less than twenty-four hours to find Grover,mwe need to hury, just as i thought that a sea-gull swooped down out of nowhere and landed on our makeshift mast.

Clarrise looked at it startled. The bird had dropped a small cluster of leaves into her lap making her growl at it angrily.

“Hey!” she shouted as it took off. “Yo bird, get back here so I can ring your neck.” she hissed. “Well i just gotta-...wait a minute. Birds. leaves… land." she said in realization. "There's land nearby!" She shouted gleefully.

I sat up and sure enough, there was a line of blue and brown in the distance. Another minute and I could make out an island with a small mountain in the center, a dazzling white collection of buildings, a beach dotted with palm trees, and a harbor filled with a strange assortment of boats.

The current was pulling our rowboat toward what looked like a tropical paradise, but was actually an eveil liar for the sourceres Circe where she can turn guys into gineaigs and make girls her servants and helpers..

"Welcome!" a lady with a clipboard said right behind us making me jump.

“Wha-”

She looked like a flight attendant, blue business suit, perfect makeup, hair pulled back in a ponytail. She shook our hands as we stepped onto the dock. With the dazzling smile she gave us, you would've thought we'd just gotten off the Princess Andromeda rather than a banged-up rowboat.

Then again, our rowboat wasn't the weirdest ship in port. Along with a bunch of pleasure yachts, there was a U.S. Navy submarine, several dugout canoes, and an old-fashioned three-masted sailing ship. There was a helipad with a "Channel Five Fort Lauderdale" helicopter on it, and a short runway with a Learjet and a propeller plane that looked like a World War II fighter.

"My name is Hylla, is this your first time with us?" Hylla inquired looking up at us curiously.

Clarrise and I exchanged looks. "Umm ..."