Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I was staring at the waves when Annabeth and Tyson found me.

"What's going on?" Annabeth asked. "I heard you calling for help!"

"Me, too!" Tyson said. "Heard you yell, 'Bad things are attacking!'"

"I didn't call you guys," I said. "I'm fine."

"But then who ..." Annabeth noticed the three yellow duffel bags, the thermos, and the bottle of vitamins I was holding. "What—"

"Oh, this was a gift, from a friend,” I said nonchalantly. “And nothing is going on, he just dropped off some supplies, it was just a false alarm. He startled me that's all. Now… let's all go back to camp, dont want the harpies to catch us out of our cabins."

I decided to not tell them about my conversation with Hermes, I think it would be best if we just let Clarrise go on the quest uninterrupted. Of course, by doing this a lot of things will change, but maybe… maybe it would be for the better. And Clrrise is my friend now, it would be rude of me to just take away her quest from her.

Suddenly there was a loud screech off in the distance, the patrol harpies were picking up our scent.

"Percy," Annabeth said, "we have to go now… are you sure you didn't see anything?"

“...yes.”

“Ok, so let’s hurry back, we don’t want to get into any more trouble with Tantalus.

“Agreed.”

"There!" a voice screeched behind us making us jump. "Bad children out of cabins! Snack time for lucky harpies!"

Five of them were fluttering over the top of the dunes, plump little hags with pinched faces and talons and feathery wings too small for their bodies. They reminded me of miniature cafeteria ladies who'd been crossbred with dodo birds. They weren't very fast, thank the gods, but they were vicious if they caught you.

"Tyson!" I said. "Grab a duffel bag we need to get out of here!"

“We need to separate. It might distract them long enough for us to get away.

I nodded in agreement. “Great idea, Tyson and I will go to the left and you will go right.

Tyson and I both grab all the duffel bags and turned around and rush back to our cabin right before the harpies managed to reach us.

“That was a close one.” I sighed.

“Yeah,” Tyson agreed. “You okay.?”

"Yeah, I'm good. Let’s go back to sleep."

Tyson crashed on one of the bunk beds. He tinkered for a few minutes on his metalworking project, which he still wouldn't show me, but soon enough he was yawning. He wrapped up his oilcloth and passed out.

I lay on the bed and stared out the window in deep thought. ‘Was this really a good idea?’

It probably wasn't, but it was too late to turn back now. I just have to push through and hope for the best and things turn out how I hope they will.

With that thought in mind, I close my eyes and drift off to sleep and dreams consumed me.

In my dream, I was standing in a cavern at the edge of an enormous pit. I knew the place too well. The entrance to Tartarus. And I recognized the cold laugh that echoed from the darkness below.

“If it isn't the young hero. The voice was like a knife blade scraping across the stone. On his way to another great victory.” he crooned.

I wanted to shout at Kronos to leave me alone. I wanted to draw Riptide and strike him down. But I couldn't move. And even if I could, how could I kill something that had already been destroyed, chopped to pieces, and cast into eternal darkness?