Chapter 5

Happy Easter Everyone!!

Chapter 5

The next few days were torture, just like Tantalus wanted.

The campers kept giving me snide comments from the other campers. Suddenly, I wasn't Percy Jackson, the cool guy who'd retrieved Zeus's lightning bolt last summer. Now I was Percy Jackson, the poor schmuck with the monster for a brother.

"He's not a monster!" I protested whenever someone said something rude about him. "Sure he has some monstrous qualities, but that doesn’t mean that he’s a monster!"

Nobody bought it.

Annabeth tried to make me feel better. She suggested we team up for the chariot race to take our minds off our problems. Don't get me wrong, we both hated Tantalus and we were worried sick about camp, but we couldn't do anything right this second so we figured we might as well go along with the races. After all, Annabeth's mom, Athena, had invented the chariot, and my dad had created horses. Together we would own that track.

One morning Annabeth and I were sitting by the canoe lake sketching chariot designs when some jokers from Aphrodite's cabin walked by.

“Hey, do you need to borrow some eyeliner for your eye... Oh sorry, eyes.” One of them said jokingly

“Hahahahah!!!” They all laughed cruelly and walked away.

As they were walking away laughing, Annabeth grumbled, "Just ignore them, Percy. It isn't your fault you have a monster for a brother."

"He's not a monster!" I snapped.

Annabeth raised her eyebrows. "Hey, don't get mad at me! And technically, he is a monster."

"Well, yeah. But that doesn't give you the right to keep calling him one. Just because he looks like a monster doesn't mean that he is one. His actions would make him a monster, and he doesn’t have a monstrous bone in his body, so leave him alone!"

“... I'm sorry, Percy, butIi have to disagree. Cyclopes are the most deceitful, treacherous-"

"He is not! What have you got against Cyclopes, anyway?”

Annabeth's ears turned pink.

"Just forget it," she said. "Now, the axle for this chariot—"

"You're treating him like he's this horrible thing," I said. "He hasn’t done a single person any harm."

Annabeth threw down her pencil and stood. "Then maybe you should design a chariot with him.”

"Maybe I should."

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

She stormed off and left me feeling even worse than before.

For the next couple of days, I tried to keep my mind off my problems.

Silena Beauregard, daughter of Aphrodite gave me one of my first riding lessons on a pegasus, in this timeline. She explained that there was only one immortal winged horse named Pegasus, who still wandered free somewhere in the skies, but over the eons he'd sired a lot of children, none quite so fast or heroic, but all named after the first and greatest.

Being the son of the sea god, I never liked going into the air. My dad had a rivalry with Zeus, so I tended to stay out of the sky as much as possible, unless i have to. But riding a pegasus is different. That’s because my dad created horses out of sea foam, so the pegasi are neutral territory.

The problem was that Tyson wanted to ride the "chicken ponies," too, but the pegasi got skittish whenever he approached. I told them telepathically that Tyson wouldn't hurt them, but they didn't seem to believe me. That made Tyson cry.