chapter five

February 23, 2000 (Wednesday)

        I opened my eyes to my darkened room. Thank Merlin for blackout curtains. I glanced across the room and could just barely make out the hands of my clock. 9:24 AM.

Hell no. I'm too tired for this.

        I tried to close my eyes again, starting to drift back off into my peaceful sleep.

        Something dropped onto my face, a light slap of flat paper. Fuck this whole world.

        I opened my eyes and knocked the parchment off my face. Our owl whooed from my nightstand.

        "It's too early for this. Why couldn't you have just waited to give this to me?" I asked him, groaning as I sat up.

Riddlette

        That single word in Draco's handwriting made me want to cry. I miss him more than I'd like to say I could miss someone. And now I know he's alive and ok. I ripped the wax seal off the folded parchment and opened to see the writing.

Ry,

        I didn't know that Theo wasn't with you. I'll start looking for him as well. My father had a lot of connections throughout the wizarding world, I'm sure I can get into most of them now. That may be the only good thing that man did for me.

        It's good to know Enzo has been there even when I haven't been able to. I am sorry I haven't been there when you needed me.

        I have enclosed a portkey to my new manor, you may come at any time. I have a house elf that should allow you inside even if I'm not there.

See you soon.
Draco

        A candlestick was enclosed in a small bag attached to the letter. His port key. I'm invited over to his house to see Draco Malfoy.

My best friend and I'm going to see him again.

What if he's changed?

        I've changed, why wouldn't he have too? We're adults now, full grown adults.

        I'll go today.

Today I will see my best friend.

***

         I've spent the whole day thinking about seeing Draco. Saying I'm excited is an understatement. But I'm definitely nervous too. Maybe he'll be different and won't like how I've changed. Maybe he'll hate me for everything that's been happening with my father.

        I plan to tell him about everything. Draco has always been protective of me, so I'm sure he'd want to know about it. I threw my journal into a bag, along with the elder wand, my wand, and a few other small things to bring.

No secrets.

         I grabbed the candlestick off my nightstand and slung the bag over my shoulder, hopping down the stairs.

        The whispers in my head were screaming, telling me to leave the journal here unless I'm recruiting him. They told me I needed to get Draco on my side, to get him to help me kill Harry. Not even these asshole voices can ruin this day.

         "I'm going to Draco's house. I'll be back before it's too late." I told my brothers, smiling.

         "Tell him we say hi." Mattheo said from the counter seat of the kitchen.

        "Also tell him that I'm going to kill him for leaving you stranded for two years." Tom yelled from the living room. "I'll see if it comes up." I said, catching Mattheo's laughing grin.