chapter six

February 23, 2000 (Wednesday, continued)

"Are you sure this is a good idea? Having me take the wand? Why not have Mattheo or Tom?" Draco asked, spinning his wand around his fingers.

I held up the elder wand, switching hands every few seconds to wipe the sweat away. "Yes. You have to do it. It's not like it's your first time with the wand anyways. I can't tell them I stole the elder wand. They don't even know about the journal." Draco looked at me with doubt, even he looked nervous.

"Voldemort or his ghost won't stop bothering me. He wants me to build a new army and kill Harry. I can't have control over this wand. I'm too dangerous, especially at my current state."

"So you want to kill him? That's why you're worried you might do it?" He asked, lowering his own wand.

"I just don't want to risk anything. I'm not in full control over my own actions even. Do you want to kill him? Is that why you're so curious?"

"No, not now. Not after I know he saved your life." Draco said.

"I thought about doing it. I had every opportunity in the burrow. I wanted to. I had so many chances to do it. The voices convinced me it would be easy." I really need to work on my rambling problem.

"But you didn't. You had every chance and you didn't. You kept it together." He told me.

"No... I couldn't go through with it."

"That's my point. You need to think about that only. You're in control." Draco told me, only making the voices in my head screech. "I'm trying. It's getting harder to fight it."

I titled my head in an attempt to knock the voices out of my brain, not that that would help.

"I'll be your sponsor then. I'll keep you in line and monitor you. I'll check in and make sure you don't go on some murder spree." My eyebrows furrowed.

He'll be my what?

"That's not your job to manage though. It's my problem, not yours." I pushed. I didn't tell him so he would worry about it.

"I don't give a shit. I owe you and you need help." After a few minutes of arguing about it, I gave in. Maybe it'd be nice to have someone to keep me in line.

"Now can you disarm this bloody wand before I use it on you?" I asked him, waving the wand in front of my body.

"Don't wave that towards me! You'll probably crucio me somehow." Draco joked, putting up his wand.

"You have to disarm me then. Just do it quickly." I told him again.

"Ready?"

"A hm."

"Expelliarmus!" Draco yelled, knocking the wand out of my grip and across the room. I instantly felt a wave of relief as it landed on the ground.

"No!"

"What have you done?"

"Get it back!"

"Thank Merlin." I mumbled, untensing my whole body. "Now I have the elder wand. Again." Draco complained, shaking his head.

"And you're my sponsor so it's your job to do that for me." I told him, flashing a smile.

"And that's why I will happily store it away where no one will find it." He picked up the wand and slid it into his pocket.

The rest of our visit ended up being us just hanging out. Draco said he'd check in with Azkaban to see if Theo could be there. Azkaban is known for driving people mad, so over a year of Theo possibly being in there could have destroyed him.