chapter thirteen

April 29, 2000 (Friday)

        I opened my eyes to find myself laying on top of Theo. He had his book rested on his lower chest with me on his upper. I was still on my stomach, resting my head and arms across him.

        "How long was I asleep?" I asked, seeing he was almost finished with the book. I didn't even move to look at him. "An hour or so. Tom wanted me to tell you he was going to Laura's for a while and that we shouldn't wait for him." Theo told me, laying his book flat.

        "Ok... I have to talk to him and Mattheo today." I lifted myself off of Theo so he could see me. "And what do you need to talk to them about?" He asked, pulling me back onto his chest. I laid with my hands under my head, looking up at him.

        "I want to move out. But I want to look at the Riddle Manor with my brothers before fully committing. You know? Just in case it's ugly or needs major work."

        "Riddle Manor? Since when is there a Riddle Manor?" Theo asked, sounding shocked. Shit. No one ever told Theo about the Riddle Manor. I explained all I knew- it was written to be mine, we've never seen it before, we didn't even know it still existed or ever did for that matter.

        "So you have a whole manor that you own and you haven't gone to see it? How the hell did you not tell me?" Theo was excited now. "I guess I just forget that you don't know things. It's hard to keep track of what you've been updated on."

        We both somehow avoided the most important part of this conversation, if Theo would come with me. I didn't ask, he didn't ask. I can't help but wonder if there was a reason we avoided the topic.

***

April 29, 2000 (Friday, continued)

Theo went upstairs a while ago because he was falling asleep. This left me, Mattheo, and Tom sprawled across the couches.

"I want to move out." I blurted, not introducing the topic in any way.

"What?" Tom and Mattheo responded at the same time, both bouncing upright. "I want to look at the Riddle Manor. I'm ready to move." I repeated, still laying down.

"You want to move out? Are you sure, I don't mind you here at all." Tom started, already in some weird mood. "I think it's time. I'm twenty and I have a boyfriend. We don't need to all live with you while you're trying to start a life too." I told them, still not moving.

"Are you sure you're ready to go out by yourself? I just wouldn't want you to not be ready and to be alone you know?" Mattheo explained, actually sounding concerned.

"Yes. I feel better now that I know Theo's back. I won't be alone either. I think I'll ask him to move with me."

"Why do you only think so? Is something wrong?" Mattheo asked, catching onto the single uncertain statement.

"Did he do something? Is it different then you remember?" Tom added. He was getting in protective brother bear mode.

"No! No. Theo didn't do anything. It's just different, we haven't seen each other for almost two years and now he's living with us. It's a big change to have him back, that's all."

"What do you mean different? Are you still happy?" Mattheo asked.

Since when were they so sensitive about this?