Chapter 10: Trouble at Camp

I can say that Zoe handled the situation very well at first. She struggled under the monster, cursing and reaching for her bow. It was just out of reach. I ran over and took out Tsunami, swiftly slashing at the monster. Zoe finally reached her bow and scrambled out from under the creature. She shot arrows from her bow, while I swiped at the monster making it whimper in pain until it exploded into golden dust.

Everybody stood wide-eyed at the incident that just occurred. Zoe scrambled up from the ground and yelled, "What? There is nothing to see here! Everybody go to your tents for the night!" She walked off into the darkness of the trees, muttering to herself.

Everyone walked away, ducking down into their tents. "Zoe!" I called. She didn't answer. I knew that Zoe had a short temper, but why was she so pissed off that a monster had attacked? I sighed and went into my tent. I knew very well that Zoe could handle herself if she needed to. I'll wait until the morning to look for her, I thought to myself as I drifted to sleep.

------------------------------------------

When I woke up in the morning, sunshine was glaring through the walls of the tent that I shared with Luke. He wasn't awake yet, so I slipped out of the tent quietly. I walked to the large circle we had built with logs by the campfire yesterday, and saw a figure sitting on one of the logs. I walked up next to her and sat down. I noticed she took a frying pan from our supplies along with some eggs, and was cooking them over a fire.

"What was that last night, Zoe?" I asked her calmly. She shrugged, "I don't know. Being around this camp just makes me jumpy and annoyed all the time. Its like its playing with my emotions somehow. Want an egg?" I politely declined and said, "No thanks, but I understand how you feel." She just smiled at me and kept cooking her eggs.

-----------------------------------------

I told Chiron about our little incident, when we got back from our camping trip in the forest. He asked me all these questions about what the monster looked like, and if everyone was okay. I told him that no one got hurt, and my best guess about what the monster was, was a hellhound, but due to how fast the creature was moving and how dark it was, it was hard to tell. When I left the Big House after giving Chiron the report, I saw Annabeth walking towards me. Great, I thought.

"How was the camping trip? Do you think that Chiron will let other groups go?" Annabeth said, getting straight to business as usual. I told her that it was a good trip, and that I didn't know about other groups going, but she should ask Chiron. She just nodded and walked away, her eyes stayed stormy throughout the entire the conversation, not showing emotion, just like I remembered her when she was talking to other people.

I started to walk back to my cabin, when I heard a scream. I started running towards the sound when I saw a monster bounding through camp. What the heck? I thought, how did a monster get through the camps borders? I ran towards the monster pulling out Tsunami. I soon saw that this creature had the body, tail, and back legs of a lion, the head and wings of an eagle, and an eagle's talons as its front feet. I recognized it as a Griffin.

I knew that the Griffin was said to have pulled Apollo's chariot, so I wondered why it was here, attacking camp. The large creature was running around like a chicken without a head, crashing into people, cabins, and anything that it came across. Soon, there was a bright flash of light, and I had to cover my eyes. When I looked up, there stood Apollo, looking disheveled.

Apollo looked around frantically, and when he saw the Griffin bounding around, and destroying things, he sighed. "When will you calm down, creature!" Apollo yelled. I walked over to Apollo and I bowed slightly. Apollo has never done anything to me in the past that I remember. "Apollo, why is your Griffin destroying camp?" He sighed again and started to explain.

"While I was steering my chariot this morning, over a beautiful secluded land, this huge blur of blackness was running around down there. I was interested in it, because I've never seen anything like it, but I didn't bother it because it was on land, and I was in the sky. When the Griffin saw it, it freaked out, and started pulling my chariot in all different directions. It finally broke free from my hold and flew away. I called my sis for help, finished my route, and came looking for it. I found it here," Apollo explained.

I thought for a moment, and couldn't think of any weaknesses of the Griffin. So I had a different idea. "Ares cabin! Don't hurt it, but try to get it down! Tie it down or something! Just contain it for as long as you can!" I ran to the Hecate cabin, and barged in. They all looked at me in surprise. "Get outside and calm down that Griffin with whatever you have that can do the job."

I then ran outside again, looking for a certain someone. I saw her trying to contain the Griffin with the Ares cabin. "Piper!" I yelled. She looked my way and ran over. "Can you use your charm speak on the Griffin?" I asked. "Yeah, I'll try," she panted, and ran off.

I ran over to the Griffin, and saw that the majority of the Ares cabin was trying to pin it down, and people from all different cabins had thick ropes from the training area, and were trying to keep it down. I took some ropes that were as thick as my arm, and ran around the Griffin quickly, trapping it in a maze of thick rope.

While I was running around, I heard Piper yelling at the Griffin to calm down, or to go to sleep. I also saw some Hecate children throwing potions at the Griffin, or muttering something under their breath, like a spell. After around 5 minutes, the Griffin was not struggling against the ropes anymore. It had calmed down thanks to Piper and the Hecate cabin, and I could see its eyelids dropping. I ran around the Griffin again, untangling it from the ropes holding it down.

Apollo flashed Piper and I a grin when the Griffin was out of the ropes and walking towards him gracefully and strongly. I shielded my eyes along with the rest of the camp when Apollo flashed away. My mind was filled with curiosity. What could that creature have been, that scared the Griffin so much? Was it the same thing that attacked Zoe last night?

"Wait!" I hear someone yell. I looked over and saw Will Solace looking around, trying to find something. "Where's Leo and Sammy? And Annabeth? They're gone!"

__________________________
I'm so sorry that I haven't updated in such a long time! I had this chapter just about finished, when half of it got lost, and I couldn't remember what I had wanted to do with the chapter. But this is what I wanted to do with it now, so it's okay. Remember to vote if you enjoyed this chapter, and comment if you have any comments or suggestions!

~Chips Ahoy! Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies