Chapter 6: Capture The Flag

As I was walking along the shoreline, I saw a figure kneeling there, just looking at the waves. This time it wasn't Annabeth. I saw a white bandage wrapped around his head, and immediately knew it was Leo. I walked over and sat down next to him.

"Um Supreme Commander Omega or whatever?" he said tiredly, "Why are you here?"

"I'll tell you if you tell me," I told him.

"Well, I really needed an escape from the badgering of Piper and Jason. And I don't know, ever since my friend Percy disappeared, I sometimes come here. It was like his Bunker 9. And I kind of feel like I owe him a lot, since he disappeared and everything partially because of me," Leo explained, "Your turn."

"I like the ocean. It helps clear my mind, and I was kind of stressed with the war coming up and everything. So I decided to go for a walk before the campfire," I said, then waited a moment before saying, "Everybody here is always talking about Percy Jackson, but I think that if he was as good of a guy as you say, he would have wanted everyone here to move on." Leo had a hard, serious face on, something that I didn't see from him often.

"Maybe," he said, "I just... I'm trying to remember what happened so hard, but everytime I try, I get a burning feeling in the back of my skull. I feel like I'm letting everyone down, and now this fricken war is coming, and I need time to think." I nodded, and told him to get some rest soon, and that Piper and Jason are probably worrying about where he is. I got up, and headed towards the campfire.

After the campfire, which I had just stood in the back and watched, Chiron announced that there was going to be a game of Capture the Flag. He stated the rules, how to play, and the teams. My soldiers and I were put with the Athena team. Just great. While everyone was putting on their armor, Annabeth came up to me.

"Why aren't your soldiers putting on armor?" She asked, "And you too?"

"We don't need to," I replied with an attitude. She looked at me disapprovingly.

"C'mon," she said, "I'm sorry that I act like I know everything okay? I'm a child of Athena, it's what I do. And... I know the Percy thing is horrible, I... I hate myself every day for it. I constantly think that somewhere, he's there thinking of me, how I'm a terrible disgusting person, and I... never mind. Think what you want to think of me. Why should I care." She said shakily and stormed away angrily.

She doesn't get to be angry, I told myself. She wasn't the one who got hurt. But a small part of my mind said that she got hurt too. She was my girlfriend just as much as I was her boyfriend. And she probably got hurt too. But she did this. And if I wanted to focus on the upcoming war, I couldn't go around sulking about my life.

We went into the forest and Annabeth said to hide the flag by Zeus' fist. Typical. She started to tell everybody what positions to go to. Then it was just her, Alpha (Luke), Dusk (Zoe), and me. Annabeth started to group us, but I said angrily, "Alpha is with me, we're guarding the flag, Dusk can go with Annabeth and try to get the other team's flag." Annabeth looked a little disappointed, but she ran off with Dusk right behind her.

Luke and I started setting traps, him not saying a word about the sudden burst of anger, to which I was grateful for. I was pretty proud of our traps, which caught everyone, even Clarisse. By the time our team won, thanks to Annabeth and Dusk, everyone that had tried to get to our flag was hanging upside down, or pinned to a tree, or tied up with vines. Dusk had run the flag all the way back to us, with Annabeth right behind her. The two girls were careful not to step into any traps, having seen everyone like that, but one wrong step, and Annabeth was hanging upside down by her foot.

"Whoops," I said, before congratulating Dusk on her accomplishment, because the rest of my soldiers were on the other team, and it must have hard to get past them.

"Yes," Annabeth said sarcastically, "Congratulate her, because I had nothing to do with us winning."

"Not everything is about you Annabeth," I said as Dusk and I walked away, leaving everyone, including Annabeth, still in the traps.

When I got back to our cabin, everyone was fooling around. Chips were thrown across the room, as well as cheese puffs. Soda was being shot at people through water guns. There were two forts on each side of the common area, made with pillows and blankets. Forge (Beckendorf), was tied up with rope to the wall by one of the forts, screaming, "Don't let them catch you! Girls are ruthless creatures!" and laughing. "I thought you loved me!" Beauty (Silena) laughed, as she sprayed him with orange soda in the face. People were jumping and laughing and screaming until I yelled, "HEY!" Everyone froze and stopped laughing. I almost was angry, but I really wanted to join in. I could tell that Alpha and Dusk wanted to too.

"This is not-" I was cut off when a pie was smashed into my face. Where the heck did that come from? Instead of yelling, I grabbed a soda gun and sprayed coke all over Alpha and Dusk. Soon everyone in the cabin was screaming, laughing, and running around until midnight. Everyone had the funnest night in a long time, and didn't even think about how who was going to clean it up. Let me tell you one thing, Alpha was going to have a long night.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Yay! I updated! I also put a map of Camp Half Blood there, so the game of Capture the Flag would make more sense if you looked at it. Also, if you don't get the ending, the person who is cleaning it up is Alpha (Luke). I also decided to to write the real names of the characters next to their code names- example: Alpha (Luke)- just in case you forgot. So yeah, I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Remember to vote and comment if you have any suggestions.

-oatmeal cookies 🍪