Chapter 1: Bad Dreams

I was running. Running as fast as I could. My lungs were burning and the cold air wasn't helping me breath any easier. Tears were leaking down my face as I tried to get as far away as I could from that place. The place where Annabeth and the rest of Camp Half Blood betrayed me. I remembered it almost as if it happened yesterday. Because it did.

I was down by the beach at Camp Half Blood with the box, the box that held the ring that I spent all my time and money on during the past month. I was so excited to propose, Annabeth was the love of my life. Or so I thought.

I had told Annabeth to meet me down at the dock by the lake at 7:30 PM. She told me she wouldn't miss it for a thing. But I frowned as I looked down at my watch and saw that it was 7:45.

Annabeth was never late for anything. I got a little annoyed. Maybe something was holding her up. I walked over to the beach and took a walk along the shore, to calm myself. But I wish I hadn't. What I saw was the opposite of Annabeth coming to the beach apologizing for being so late.

It was Annabeth alright, but she wasn't alone. She was with Evan (the brother that I found out I had a couple of months ago), sitting down on the beach by the water. But what shocked me the most was that they were kissing.

"Annabeth how could you!" I screamed while dropping the box. Annabeth pulled away from the kiss and her eyes widened in surprise.

"Percy!" she exclaimed, "I thought you were going to be by the dock! Not here!"

"Wha-why-" I stumbled for words. But the pain that spread across my chest was too strong for words.

"Percy wait! I'm so sorry!" Annabeth yelled after me. But at that moment I didn't want to wait for her. I hated her. So I ran all the way across the camp. I went into my cabin and closed the door behind me. My eyes were wide and I was completely shocked. Annabeth? With Evan?

Evan had fooled everyone with his charming looks and caring attitude. Totally different from me, seeing as I was reckless and messy. He was literally the perfect demigod. Except with me. He absolutely hated me. When we were in my cabin alone, he would argue with me over everything. He would challenge me to duels whenever he could, and humiliated me in front of my friends whenever he got the chance. He gradually turned my friends away from me. And they loved him.

I felt the dread creep through my bones. What had I done wrong? I ran my head through the last couple of weeks, trying to think if I had done anything to upset her.

What if she hated me? I couldn't live without Annabeth in my life. I had shared my darkest secrets with her, we went through literal hell together. She saw the worst and the best of me. We have known each other since we were 12. She could brighten my day just by looking at me. I And I love her. I love everything about her. Her princess curls, her startling gray eyes that were beautiful and ferocious at the same time, and her amazing brain. I thought she loved me back.

I climbed into my bed, in the cabin that felt humongous compared to me laying there alone. And I tried to sleep. I really did. But I worried and stressed so much all night, I thought I would wake up with gray hairs. I fell asleep around 5 in the morning and woke up at around 8. My sheets were tangled and on the floor, and I was covered in sweat.

I woke up even more confused and upset when the events of last night came back to me. The Annabeth I know would have come to my door, tried to talk to me. What in the name of Hades has happened?

I walked to breakfast and sat alone. I wondered where Evan was. I looked around and everyone was laughing and joking as always. The day would have looked and felt completely normal if my brain was working so hard.