#6 - Adventure

1. The Andes, the longest mountain range in the world, is home to numerous peaks over 6,000 meters (19,685 feet) tall, including Aconcagua in Argentina, which is the highest mountain in both the Southern and Western Hemispheres. The range also contains the Atacama Desert, the driest non-polar desert in the world, as well as several active and inactive volcanoes. The Andes are a popular destination for adventure travelers looking to hike, climb, or ski in a stunning natural environment.

2. Bungee jumping, which involves jumping off a tall structure with an elastic cord tied to your ankles, was invented in the 1970s by a group of friends who wanted to test their courage by jumping off a bridge in New Zealand with homemade cords. In 1988, A.J. Hackett and Henry van Asch opened the world's first commercial bungee jumping operation in Queenstown, New Zealand, and it quickly became a popular adventure activity. Today, bungee jumping is available in many locations around the world and is enjoyed by millions of people each year.

3. Jim Whittaker, a mountaineer and outdoorsman from Seattle, Washington, made history in 1963 when he became the first American to reach the summit of Mount Everest. Whittaker led a team of climbers as part of the American Mount Everest Expedition, and he successfully reached the top of the 8,848-meter (29,029-foot) mountain on May 1, 1963. Whittaker's achievement helped inspire a new generation of American mountaineers and adventurers.