Dec. 15

Todd had gone through the day jumping at every noise. He was barely able to sit through the play, and surely made a few new enemies considering the amount of time he nervously crackled his knuckles.

All he had to stop his roommate's suicide. Easier said than done. But he had one advantage: he already knew everything that was going to happen. And Todd, being as observant as he was, had the night memorized to a T.

He waited outside the stage doors to make his move. Gosh, he looked like he was about to mug someone. He straightened up his posture. A crowd had gathered, and despite the gentle snow, Todd was sweating. He took off his jacket, slinging it over his arm and trying to take deep breaths.

Suddenly, Mr. Perry burst through the crowd, followed by a sullen Neil, eyes directly forward.

"Neil, Neil!" Todd called. But it wasn't working. Neil briefly glanced at Todd, and delivered the most heartbreaking words with a hollow look.

"I can't," he said, feigning a smile.

A strike of guilt crossed Todd's heart. If Neil died tonight, those would be his last words to him. Damnit, damnit!

Mr. Perry had already reached the car, and Neil was talking to Mr. Keating. "Neil, you have the gift!" Keating was all smiles.

Todd was running out of time. He l looked around, regretting not having a solid plan. Something had to be work. Nervous. Impulsive. God, why couldn't he be calm and collected? It was impossible to be here, and yet he was, and he was wasting it! Just as Mr. Perry began to drag Neil away, Todd lunged forward, seizing him by the arm.

"Get in the car," Mr. Perry ordered.

"D-don't do it, Neil," Todd responded.

Neil met his eyes with confusion. This was a whole new side to Todd. Todd had never once defied authority to the authority's face, much less encouraged others to do so. But there he was, and there they were, and Todd shivered as a melted snowflake dripped off the end of his hair.

"I have to..." Neil said, voice quiet and cold.

"No, you don't. You don't have to. Please don't get in the car," Todd begged, voice breaking.

"Let go of him, boy," Mr. Perry commanded.

"No!" Todd was frantic, and held on to Neil's jacket so tightly that his fingers turned white. "Neil, please, please. Stay here. He can't make you go with him."

He spoke fast, pleading, begging and the clock was ticking.

"I'm warning you," Mr. Perry raised his voice.

"No!" Todd repeated. Neil took a tentative step towards Todd.

That's when Mr. Perry lunged forward, and struck Todd so hard across the face he stumbled back.

Todd's hands flew to his face, and in one sickening second, Todd realized he'd let go of the jacket.

He scrambled back, but the damage was done. With a horrible jerking motion, like a marionette being whipped through the air, Mr. Perry yanked Neil backward.

A crowd began to gather around Todd. The poets, Keating, and perfect strangers all craning to get a look at the red mark across Todd's cheek. "Are you alright?" came the murmurs. But Todd couldn't hear them. He pushed them away, stood on his tiptoes to watch the black car begin to drive.

And they were gone before Todd could follow.

"Asshole!" Charlie yelled after the car.

"Are you alright, Todd?" Keating asked, good old fashioned worried sick.

"I'm fine," Todd said forcefully. "We...we have to go after them. We can't let him take Neil. Please, Mr. Keating, you have to believe me. Neil's going to-"

"I do believe you Todd," Mr. Keating assured. "Let's get back. I'll call his father later and see if we can get this sorted out."

Todd was unable to protest as they herded back into the car.

Todd paced around his room. The window was open, but the atmosphere was thick with the absence of Neil. Dark sky. Dark eyes.

Thoughts fumbled around his head, jumping around in ways he couldn't entirely understand.

Brown hair, snow stained red.

He couldn't bring himself to sleep. Or shower. Or change. How could he, when Neil might be dead?

One last chance, one more shot.

On the way back, Todd had voiced his concerns to Keating. "Cap?" Keating had nodded in response. "I, um...Neil's been...struggling lately," he informed.

"Is that so?" Keating asked, deep in thought.

It was only the two in the car. All the rest, high in spirits, had elected to walk back. Todd felt like he was going to throw up.

"I'm afraid-" He hesitated. "I'm afraid he's going to 'hurt' himself."

Keating took a deep breath in, letting it out slowly. Finally, he spoke. "All we can do is pray, Mr. Anderson. I'll call his father once we get back."

Todd didn't pray. He didn't think.

He paced around his room, the rhythmic pitter-patter of his feet keeping him on edge in the worst of ways.

Finally, he decided it had been long enough. He walked down the hall, skulking through the dark until he came across Mr. Keating's room.

He pressed his ear to the door. Silence.

He rapped three times gently on the door.

More silence.

Unable to stand it any longer, he let himself in.

And there was Keating, phone still in his hand he stared forward in shocked disbelief.

He looked up at Todd, his vibrant blue eyes now dulled to a tearful grey, and gave him all the confirmation he needed. He shook his head 'no', and the tears took over.