December 16th

Todd woke up and the snow was fluttering down in curtains. 

He glanced over at Neil, snug asleep in his bed, and decided against waking him up. He'd had an eventful night. 

It took a lot of work, to get him here under his father's radar. Even more work keeping him here. Todd had been up almost all night, covering up his lies with intricately woven explanations. 

It had taken hours of convincing, and frankly, more begging than Todd cared to admit to, but he finally convinced Neil's father to let him stay at Welton. Under the condition that he never acted again. That just meant Todd's next heist had to be sneakier. 

If Todd had any say in it, he was never going to let Neil's father speak to him again. 

Even when he had gotten to bed, he still woke up several times throughout the night. Each time, he would glance over at Neil's bed, just to make sure this was all real, that he really was alive this time. 

He had made it to December 16th.

Todd covered his face with his pillow to muffle the sounds of his laughter. Relief like a weight being lifted off his chest. 

Todd crawled out of his own bed and crossed the room to join Neil in his. 

And that's how he fell asleep the morning of December 16th: warm and cozy and finally free.