8.

“You’re positive?” Aditya demanded tonelessly

“You’re positive?” Aditya demanded tonelessly. He listened to the confirmation and without a word, ended the call, dropping his mobile phone on the table. He lifted a cut crystal glass filled with the finest whiskey that money could buy and sipped slowly, savoring the smooth, aged flavor like a true connoisseur.

It tasted like ash in his mouth.

His infamous control began to crack as he stood there staring sightlessly out of the floor to ceiling windows, select phrases from the conversation replaying over and over in his mind, their meaning incomprehensible, their ramifications inescapable.

"Yes Mr.Kapoor. Your wife did make an appointment with me to terminate her pregnancy of two weeks."

The doctors words were like poison to his ears. The realisation sent him down on his knees. He had rung the doctor at five in the morning for that information.

"Aditya. . ." His younger brother's voice made him snap out of his reverie.  He wondered why Arjun was in his study at this time of the day when he should be sleeping. But he didn't question it. He needed a presence by his side at the moment.

He had a child that couldn't see the world.

It broke his heart for all the wrong reasons. He never dreamt of having a child. That was never the part of his plan, nor was it in his to do list. But he knew he needed an heir for the throne and that was inevitable. He never knew Shradha would be against it. The worse part of it was she didn't feel the need to ask what he wanted. Hell he wouldn't have known of this at all if she didn't tell him.

The pain of betrayal wasn't foreign to him, but from the woman he swore to protect with all his life, felt like his heart was being ripped apart. Is it what heartbreak felt like?

Certainly not. Men like him didn't have a heart.

But why did it hurt so much?   A searing wave of rage, agony, and grief consumed him at the realization.

The pain.

  God, the pain was suffocating him. He couldn’t seem to breathe. One trembling hand reached out in desperation, searching for something, anything, to ground him, and met the cold, hard pane of unbreakable glass. Looking up, Aditya saw his image in the tinted window. The reflection of a broken man.

"What happened?" The sound of his brother seemed to ask from behind but he took in another gulp of the drink in his hand.

Fixing Arjun with a look that would shrivel a lesser man's balls, he demanded, “Where the fuck is my wife?”

  Folding his arms across his chest, Arjun returned the look and wasn't the least bit intimidated. They might not have had the same mother, but they had both inherited their father's tenacity. 

"She is in your room. Tell me what happened?" Arjun demanded, seeing how edgy his brother was behaving.

"Arjun, what is our punishment to those who betray us?" He asked with bloodshot eyes.

"Death or banishment. What is this about?" But Arjun got no answer to that question because by then Aditya was on his feet, marching out of the study.

"Contact our legal head. Tell him to prepare me divorce papers." He declared startling Arjun but he could care less.

Death or banishment.

He could never kill who he swore to protect but her lies will have consequences. Everything came with a prize in his world. Shradha was no exception.

 Shradha was no exception