Chapter Four

Nimah Eze | Four
TEARS OF A BROTHER

My grandmother's family had served the goddess of the earth, Ala, for generations. When she married my grandfather, he took both her surname and her religion. The goddess was a strict force. Worshiping Ala meant keeping my soul, mind and body pure of sin.

It was because of this Iman and I would bicker and fight all the time when she sent me on a mission I could not fulfill. I could not steal, lie, be envious, enter another deity's shrine, fornicate with another who was not joined in marriage with me. And I most certainly could not take another man's life.

The words that left Iman's lips echoed in my ear like the town crier's gong, and I squinted at her in absolute disbelief when I muttered, "What?"

"I want you to–"

"I heard you the first time, Iman, and for the sake of our friendship, I will pretend Ala has struck me with deafness."

"Ask me why?" Iman demanded.

"The reason matters not."

"Ask me why, Nimah."

I took a step back, pressing my lips together with my hands on my waist. "Why?"

"Chief Shai has been appointed next in line to be commissioner of trade. It is not public news yet, but I know it."

"So?"

"This kind of opportunity rarely makes itself available to us. Chief Shai is on our side. He has openly voiced his support for white people across the kingdom in the face of opposition. He wishes to see us attain higher education, own land, farms, cattle. He will see to it that we get exportation rights too."

"I know what his politics is."

"Then you must see reason."

"Quite the contrary."

"If the current commissioner dies, Chief Shai will be installed."

"Why can't we wait for his retirement?"

"Because we don't have thirty years, Habibi!" she quietly scolded. "It's getting worse, and I'm sick and tired of counting bodies. We need this. We can't keep stealing food and cowering in the homes of our masters. It is time we fight back. Blood for blood."

"I burn sacrifices to Ala. Do you not know what her most unforgivable sin is?"

"Murder."

"Murder," I seconded, slamming the back of my right palm into my left. "How could you ask me to commit the one sin I am not allowed to commit under any circumstances? I will never do the same to you. You continue to disrespect me and the goddess I serve."

"Amadioha should've freed us then from this abomination of a life then! I don't see him with a sword around here, or this darling wife, Ala, you have chosen to serve!"

"Neither do I see, Allah! Yet I have never once questioned your beliefs! It always has to be your way!"

"My way has brought us this far!" The fury in her was made apparent in her striking voice.

"I will not commit murder! I will not do it. You promised me when I joined this resistance that it will be done with clean hands."

"Clean hands?" Iman huffed a laugh. "How do you think we are able to steal grain and guard our villages? You think blood has not been spilt. The food you eat, how do you think we got it? The soap, do know how expensive olive oil is? Everything we've stolen–taken. You think we haven't had to kill? I haven't had to kill? Grow up!" she barked and I jerked back.