Chapter Fifty-one

Yarima Abubakar | Fifty-one
THE THRONE COURT MASSACRE

King Umaru's departure left the throne court in disarray. The elders, ministers, military commanders, every mouth that could bring forth words, did, spewing theories, conspiracies, senseless reason, and blame. They were unruly, fear-driven, and loud.

Hareti's face remained a blank canvas, both hands resting above her lap, clasped together as she listened. There was an eerie calmness to her despite the turbulent court, one I was hardly familiar with. Patience was not her strongest virtue, and with every second their tongues provoked, I sensed whatever remained of her patience wear thin.

"The royal scholars examined the treaty and confirmed this clause to be true," Akwaugo confirmed when the eligibility of the violation was questioned.

"Why was this not brought before the council?" asked an elder.

"It should have been tabled before us," agreed another.

"I petitioned the council several times for an audience, and several times I was denied. I presented evidence that such woe might lie ahead. If Her Majesty had not taken this seriously and approved the invitation request from the Nazimbian king, he would have gone straight to the African Union and pleaded his case. If any is to blame for neglect, I'd say point the finger at the council," Akwaugo spat.

"Regardless," started the military speaker. "The Chief High Commander was murdered, and it is a violation of the treaty, is it not?"

"King Umaru is a relative of the late commander. His death does violate the treaty," Akwaugo stated in clear terms.

"In the end, it is not the council's un-wil-ling-ness that is to blame, rather"–He trailed his gaze to Hareti on the throne– "Her Majesty's brashness is the culprit." He shook his head.

"You dare accuse the Queen of incompetence," Akwaugo chided.

"I do not, but matters must be made clear." He shrugged.

"Mind the waters you rattle, military speaker," Akwaugo warned.

I expected no less from the military speaker, he was the first to petition for Hareti's removal. Though many had turned their back on the idea of impeaching a long-standing monarch and welcoming a military-run palace, he still clung to those ideas, singing them into the ears of whoever cared to listen. It was the perfect time for him to cast a stone and awaken an old flame long quenched with the death of the Chief High Commander. Fear in the heart of the court was the perfect tool for swaying favor his way.

"This is not an hour for accusatory fingers. If the treaty is threatened, we must seek the face of Amadioha," suggested a commander. "And if matters exceed reason, we must burn offerings to Ogun and seek his favor."

"What use is war to the African Union over a matter so inconsequential? There is no need for unprecedented panic," Akwaugo implored. "Her Majesty will carefully examine this matter, and it will be settled."

"Can this be assured? Can the crown assure that the African Union will not be swayed by Western magic or any good reason to support King Umaru's cause?" the military speaker asked. Turning around to face the rest of the court, he continued, "A violation of the treaty IS a violation, there will be a price! Our children should not have to pay for it if war is our fate!"

"Ise!" the court rumbled.

"We must negotiate with the Nazimbian king, find a common ground for peace!" he sang.

"Ise!" they echoed again.

"King Umaru has made it clear he only wishes to see Africa at the forefront of innovation. The magic that was demonstrated might be a path for the future. Does the Queen not wish to see Arjana excel in great heights?" the military commander asked.