CHAPTER 5

"Yep, I am doomed." She nodded to herself then her small shoulders slumped down.

"It's not even funny. I was waiting for this day to come!" She mourned to herself.

Lottie's mourning halted when she heard a loud thud close to her location. She moved her eyesight to that direction and saw a small young girl on the ground getting bullied by other kids.

"P-Please give it back to me..." the little girl tried to stand up and snatch the small pouch one of the kids was holding.

"Just stay down, seriously!" One of the kids kicked her, which made her fall on the ground again but this time with groaning pain.

"What the--" Lottie said in disbelief.

"Haish! You would not get hurt if you've given it to us in the first place!"

"B-But that is for my family--"

"Shut up already!" They were about to kick her again, but Lottie reached her limit of just watching in the sidelines and hurriedly walk to them.

"Hey! Put that foot of yours on her again, I swear you will not be able to use that for the rest of your life!" Lottie threatened them as she stood in front of the little girl.

Well, Lottie was smaller which led the whole group to turn silent then laughed afterwards.

"BWAHAHAHA what are you going to do pipsqueak? Bite us?" One of the kids insulted her with a smirk.

"No, you're dirty. I don't want to be contaminated with germs. Eww," Lottie insulted back.

"You--!" The kid planned to hit her, but Lottie kicked him first in the knees which made him fall on the ground like the girl which shocked the other kids and at the same time, Lottie caught the pouch the kid let go out of pain.

"Here, go home now. Quickly!" Lottie put it in the little kid's hands and with urgency, commanded her to run away, which she did.

"You little--!" Before she had a chance to turn her head to see the angry kids, all of them pushed her towards the road with force. With Lottie's malnourished body, it was easy for her to get pushed even without effort.

Unfortunately, as her bottom reached the ground, loud shouts echoed around her with the sounds of a running horse coming towards her.

'This feels familiar...' Lottie thought as the approaching carriage went near her and the shouts got louder.

She couldn't close her eyes. She watched the carriage approach with her golden eyes and a strange feeling enveloping her heart, but it wasn't fear. She didn't know why but she wasn't afraid at all, instead she felt warm inside.

Unexpectedly, the carriage stopped in front of her with only few inches before she got stumped by the horse. Lottie blinked a few times as she stared intently at the horse.

"Ah..."

"AH!" Then it sunk into her that she almost died.

"You almost hit me mister! Watch where you are going!" Lottie shouted in anger. She couldn't stand up because after realizing what happened, her legs turned jelly.

"B-But you are the one who appeared out of nowhere--!"

"Sir Mateo, please stop."

Lottie flinched when he heard a soft but masculine voice. It sounded like how it was described in the novel, and her heart thumped for hearing it personally. She turned behind where the voice was and there stood the man, she was waiting for all this time.