CHAPTER 4

"This is not entirely good," Mr. Velasquez, the manager in a small firm said with furrowed brows.

"But this will do, Ms. Garcia. Go home," he added with a very displeased voice but the woman in front of him just forced a smile before turning back and leaving the office and the building after getting her bag.

The very moment she stepped outside the premises, her smile dropped, and a scowl covered her entire face.

"He is clearly bullying me!" She gritted her teeth as she remembered how many times, she was made to revise the files in one whole day.

"Freaking idiot, he didn't even notice I passed to him the same file without revisions. Can he not make it obvious he hates me?" She sighed and massaged her temples to ease the stress building up.

She continued to walk away but she immediately looked back and hit the building with a middle finger before running away.

That's what she always did every time she got off work to release her pent-up anger because she couldn't wish any monetary harm to the company because she too, would suffer with it and she was in dire need of money so instead, she would say bad words and show vulgar hand signs to it, specifically, to her manager when she's out of the premises.

With slumped shoulders, she crossed the roads which were engulfed by the darkness of the night. Knowing it was nighttime didn't help improve her mood at all because it's slapping her on the face how her manager made her work overtime for the sake of picking on her.

"Augh! I could have gone home hours ago and basked on my glorious ship of AnthonyxBeatrice if not for that manager! I will freaking punch that fatty, I swear!" She cursed her manager."

Her irritation was apparent on her face, but it turned to melancholic one as she sighed. No matter how angry she was, she needed to hold it in and not act upon it or else she would have nothing. No money, no food, no house, and no nothing. She needed to endure it, like she always did.

"It's not like I am unfamiliar with having nothing..." she whispered.

"But this is really getting tiring..." she added as a hint of heaviness added to her heart.

She continued to walk, the chilly wind of the night hitting her face as she turned to the right corner of an alley and as always, she saw the old lady beggar sitting on the cold floor waiting for people to give her alms or coins. Since she moved to that neighborhood, that beggar was already there ever since and out of pity, she gave her some money or food.

"Hey, grandma Neng" she greeted the grandma solemnly and handed her some coins she had in her purse like usual.

"Oh God bless you, dear," the grandma said thankfully with a bright smile.

"Yeah, no problem."

"Is there something wrong, dear?" the beggar asked suddenly.

"Ah--" She was caught off guard, but she answered. "Yep, just tired."

"Really dear?"

"Yeah! It is just the usual! Work is tiring, you know?" She laughed forcefully but grandma Neng looked at her intently as if she was reading her inner soul.

She had no idea why but her forced smile dropped as she looked at grandma's sad eyes looking right through her.

"It's painful, isn't it?" the beggar gently asked.

Her eyes felt heavy and felt warm all of a sudden after she heard that question. No one ever asked her that question. Nobody ever.

She didn't want to. No, she would never want to but for some reason, her eyes watered, and she sobbed like a child.