A cruel summer.

I'd date you if you weren't my best friend. Lisa could have never prepared herself to hear those words coming out of Rosie's mouth. Nor does she believe that these were the words that made her realize that yes, she would date Rosie. Hell, she wants to date Rosie. She wants to sit on her lap, wrap her legs around her waist and kiss her until it hurts. Because she loves her, in a way she shouldn't, because they are best friends- always have been, always will be.

"Same," Lisa says over the lump forming on her throat, tries her best to make a smile appear on her lips, "I'd date you, too."

"Oh yeah?" Rosie wiggles her eyebrows, oblivious to the effect her words had on Lisa. "Give me a reason why."

"You know," Lisa's gaze drops to the ground as she fidgets with the silver rings on her fingers. She can't look Rosie in the eyes, at least not now. "Your smile."

"Mhm. Do you want to hear mine?" Lisa nods, and Rosie continues, "I think you're the best when it comes to protecting the people you love the most. I could see a lot of that the past few weeks, with how you act with Ella and the rest of your family." Rosie pauses, nudges Lisa's foot with her own to make her look up. "You never hesitate to take care of me, too," Rosie gestures to the hoodie she's wearing and laughs. "That's why I think your future girlfriend, whoever she is, is a lucky one."

Lisa wants to cry. Then she feels something wet slide through her cheeks and, shit, is she already crying-

"You didn't have to get all emotional, Rosie," Lisa whines as she wipes her tears with the back of her hands.

"It's not my fault you're such a crybaby," Rosie retorts, getting up from the swing and kneeling down in front of Lisa to carefully pull her hands away from her face, making it her job to clean the tears that insist to keep on falling. "But seriously, I meant every word I said."

Lisa huffs. "Now I feel like a shitty friend for only talking about your smile."

Rosie chuckles, "It's okay. I already know you like everything about me."

Lisa does. She really fucking does. "You're so full of yourself."

"And you love me for that," Rosie grins. "But don't worry, your secret is safe with me."

Again, Lisa does. It's ridiculous how much she does. She might as well tattoo I love Park Roseanne, her stupid words and her beautiful soul on her forehead so the rest of the world can be aware of that, too.

Lisa clears her throat and crosses her arms under her chest. "We should go back now, it's too late."

It's not that late yet, at least not for the two of them. But Lisa desperately needs time to be alone, time to come up with a way to deal with what she found out against her will. And she can't do that here, with Rosie's hands on each side of her face, holding her like she's made of porcelain.

"Alright," Rosie taps Lisa's cheeks one last time before she gets up, grabbing the book before she offers Lisa her hand.

Summers are never kind to Lisa. This one couldn't be different.

She takes Rosie's hand, anyway.