4

Khadija had been exaggerating

She had been right on the part where she confessed she was a gossip queen though. Most of the gossip is just gossip.

When Asma met Kulsoom, she was intrigued by the latter's personality and the love between Kulsoom and Muhammad couldn't be smelled in the air. Of course.

Yet she couldn't unsee the difference with which they avoided each other. The lowering of the eye lashes in shyness if either of them was present in the room, the chirpy Muhammad going quiet and trying to measure his words before speaking, Kulsoom being extra cautious, Asma couldn't unsee them like the rest of the family now that Khadija had burst the balloon of ignorance for her.

Initially, Asma was convinced that Saad had a liking towards Kulsoom but when she saw him around her, he acted so normally that she had second thoughts. He was all casual and normal.

She didn't know why but it kept bothering her.

"Why are you so quiet?"

Asma looked at Sadaf arranging the seating and taking a seat beside Asma's wheelchair.

"I am not."

"Not a convincing reply, dude."

"What are you two whispering?" Asad asked from across them, "The game is about to start."

"Do we have no other game than this?" Ali asked, seeming unsure.

"Why? Are you hiding something from Fathima?" Maahi winked, making the group burst into a spree of laughter.

"Not that I know of," Ali replied, his face heating up in embarrassment but anyhow, he took a seat with his wife.

Asma quickly went through the day's events, they had reached the farmhouse by noon and the boys immediately ran to the beach for an afternoon dip, saying they wanted to be tanned. The older women chatted by the pool while the younger lazy ones hit the soft mattresses and enjoyed some me-time.

"A for Asma, let's start with her."

"A sey Ali aur Asad bhi toh aata hai," Asma revoked defensively. (From A starts, Ali and Asad too)

"You are the youngest child," Ali grinned.

"Child? I don't bottle feed," That created another rufus of laughter to boom through the open surroundings.

They were all seated to play truth or dare and Asma nevertheless commenced the game by spinning the bottle, it rotated in a spree making each and everyone become anxious about who it is going to settle on.

It landed on Shabna.

"Okay, Shabna. Truth or dare?"

"Truth but don't be tough on me."

Asma nodded, her mind working in full motion to devise a good question. "What is your most embarrassing memory?"

"Childish!" Asad remarked, clapping his hands together. By this time, Asma had learned the art of ignoring his remarks.