19

"Will you cry as much when I leave too?" Jesima genuinely wondered, looking at Asma as she wiped her eyes

"As in when you return to Palestine?" Asma's voice sounded almost broken. Her hands wheeled along the path her mother walked, after leaving her best friend and her newly wedded husband in the suite room they had booked for the night. "No.., not as much."

"I am offended, Asma. A friend's more important to you than your mother?" Jesima clutched her heart, faking nonchalance.

"Mama!" Asma groaned as she turned to face Jesima, "A friend's different from a mother in every aspect but the care she showcases on us sometimes doubles the care of a mother-"

Jesima raised an eyebrow, nodding her head smugly. They came to a stop near the entrance of the hotel just in time as a car parked beside them, Asad opened the driver's door and got out while Asma continued to talk, "A friend is where we lean on our happy and sad days, a friend is where we can be our original self without being ashamed about anything, a friend is a secret bank where we can share all our secrets, moreover, a friend is a go-to person for literally any matter-"

Jesima zoned out her daughter's speech to check whether she had her phone in her purse. Asad on the other hand was listening to the girl's rant, lowering his head to unclasp his shirt button and started rolling his sleeves.

Asma went on to speak about the importance of a friend and how when she gets married, it becomes hard to get a hold of her. Her gaze flickered to her mother who was not giving her attention, her cheeks scrunching in a pout. A gust of wind blew past her, making her turn towards the other recipient of her rants. She clicked her tongue at the sight. She saw Asad's long fingers grazing his elbows as he moved the white fabric of his shirt up. Then her gaze traveled to his face, the neat stubble grazing his cheek and the lowered long eyelashes concealing his black eyes. Gosh, she was a goner for long eyelashes.

Even though she had colored eyes, her lashes were short compared to the man in front of her. The creased eyebrows were midnight black and were densely thick, and perfectly arched. She regarded him differently at that moment. Like the way she had never before.

His lashes moved up the next instant, revealing his eyes. The warm lights of the hotel enlightened in those black skies, making her breath hitch. "Asma-" Jesima called her again, clicking her fingers.

"Huh?"

"Shall we go if your speech about friendship is over?"

Blood rushed through her face, "Yeah! Which you didn't listen to," she complained. Asad opened the door for her quietly, his lips forming a line - a smile he was supposedly hiding, Asma thought to herself as she wheeled near the door while he came to her back to hold the handlebars of her wheelchair. She put a hand on her mother's shoulder, putting half of her weight on her mother while placing her other hand on the car seat and climbing in.