002.

002.
ミ★ACT 1
("THE HUNTERS")

aelia wasn't sure what kind of monster dr. thorn was. c.c. and reyna had taught her things, and of course she had personal experience, but she had never encountered anything quite like him.

percy was leaning heavily on her, much to her dislike. his arm was wrapped around her shoulders, and his taller frame was weighing her down as dr. thorn marched them out of the hall.

percy closed his eyes.

"what are you doing, jackson?" dr. thorn hissed, "keep moving!"

"it's my shoulder," percy sounded miserable, "it burns."

aelia scoffed. percy glared at her, putting more of his weight on her in retaliation, causing her to trip over her feet a little.

"bah! my poison causes pain. it will not kill you. walk!" dr. thorn seemed to be getting more and more impatient as he marched them into the woods. the winter air was freezing, and aelia found herself moving closer to percy for warmth.

"there is a clearing ahead," thorn said, "we will summon your ride."

"what ride?" bianca demanded, "where are you taking us?"

"silence, you insufferable girl!"

"don't talk to my sister that way!" nico said. his voice quivered, but aelia was impressed that he had the guts to say anything at all. she looked at him proudly.

dr. thorn made a growling noise that definitely was not human. percy pulled aelia closer to him, subconsciously.

"halt." dr. thorn said.

the woods had opened up. they had reached a cliff overlooking the sea. aelia could hear waves churning in the water below, but all she could see was mist and darkness.

dr. thorn pushed them towards the edge. percy stumbled, and aelia caught him.

"thanks," he murmured.

"what is he?" bianca whispered, "how do we fight him?"

aelia had no answer. she didn't dare pull out her javelin right now. dr. thorn would have her thrown off the cliff or impaled in seconds.

"i... i'm working on it." percy muttered, sounding unsure.

"i'm scared," nico mumbled. he was fiddling with something—a little metal toy soldier of some kind.

"stop talking!" dr. thorn said. "face me!"

they turned.

thorn's two-tone eyes glittered hungrily. he pulled something from under his coat. at first aelia thought it was a switchblade, but it was only a phone. he pressed the side button and said, "the package—it is ready to deliver."

"there was a garbled reply, and aelia realized thorn was speaking on a walkie-talkie of some sort. this seemed way too modern and creepy—a monster using a mobile phone.