Chapter 2: Spark

Harry scrunched his nose as he gazed down at his hand in disgust. Yet another overly large, sweaty handed politician had gripped his hand tightly as they said hello to him leaving his hand feeling, for lack of a better word, gross.

He blinked when a white handkerchief appeared in his line of vision held by a black gloved hand. Following the ice blue robe sleeve up to a broad, shaped chest he met the deep blue eyes that had been haunting he waking and sleeping thoughts for the last two weeks. Gregory Malfoy was standing almost uncomfortably close to his back, turned slightly to see him, his eyes as intense as he remembered and just as focussed.

"T...thank you," Harry cursed his slight stammer as he took the handkerchief and rubbed his hands clean gratefully, focussing o that rather than the man.

"You are welcome, here," Gregory quickly transfigured two napkins into cotton gloves and held them out to Harry who pulled them on. "Now you know why we always wear gloves to these things," He said lowly as Harry tugged on the last one.

"I'm going to have to invest in some, this is ridiculous, why are they all so sweaty," Harry grumbled.

"Do not tell Lucius I said so but I believe it comes with being a politician," Gregory leant closer to Harry so his long hair swept forward fanning Gregory's spicy, warm scent towards Harry. He actually smiled slightly as Harry laughed at his comment as he straightened.

"I won't tell him I promise," Harry chuckled.

"You do not seem very happy considering it's a party," Gregory commented capturing two wine flutes from a waiter passing the corner Harry had tried to hide himself in and handed one to Harry.

"Oh, no its...fine," Harry mentally groaned at his weak assurance, Gregory's raised eyebrow told him the Malfoy had definitely caught onto it. "I don't want it to seem like I'm whining," Harry shrugged looking at the floor. He swore he felt his heart jolt when an incredibly soft leather covered finger gently urged his chin back up to meet blue eyes.

"You would not be whining, do you not wish to be here?" Gregory asked.

"Not really," Harry found himself admitting. "Parties aren't really my thing. Plus Ron and Hermione are busy with each other, rightfully so, and the other Weasley's, besides the twins, keep trying to get me to dance with Ginny, not to mention everyone seems to think I want to be flattered," Harry sighed. "Sorry, see whining,"

"Its not whining. I am not really one for these events myself, but Grandfather has insisted that we come out in force to try and repair the damage to the family name. Ginny is the Weasley's only daughter is she not?" Gregory asked with an unreadable expression.

"Yes, we dated for a little while," Harry said before his brain could think.

"Dated? You have not got back together?" Gregory looked curious now, with something else Harry could not put his finger on.

"No, her and her family want us to but..." Harry paused, he had only said this to the twins before now.

"But?" Gregory urged gently when Harry's pause lasted too long.

"But I have changed too much since then, she is too...immature. She wants the boy-who-lived who will be the whole white knight thing," Harry sighed.

"And you do not wish to have to be the one doing the protecting anymore?" Gregory said causing Harry to look up at him shocked, he understood exactly what Harry was trying not to say. Blushing embarrassed he nodded. "That is nothing to be ashamed of Harry, you have had to be strong for too long, you deserve to have someone who will look after and protect you," Gregory said softly.

"Unfortunately her and the Weasley's don't see it that way, they think I just need some time before we get married and have messy haired redheaded kids together," Harry winced at the idea.