The Cellar (15)

Chapter 15

Summer’s POV

I tightened all the muscles in my body until they started to burn; I wanted to feel something other than dirty. The memory of his lips on my cheek was making me feel ill and I just wanted to throw up and scrub myself clean.

“Lily!” I looked up to see Rose and Poppy standing in front of me looking really worried. Rose guided me to the sofa and made me sit down. I took a deep breath, feeling my lungs sting as they filled with air.

“Sorry, I’m okay,” I mumbled. Poppy smiled sympathetically and squeezed my hand. This was only going to get worse. Would I get out of here before he raped me?

“I’m going to make us all a nice hot chocolate,” Rose said cheerfully as she walked over to the kitchen. I glared at her back; she really thinks a hot chocolate was going to make this okay? She frustrates me so much but I can’t hate her; it’s not her fault that she’s like this. Poppy isn’t like it as much but I guess that’s because Rose has been down here longer.

I drank my hot chocolate quickly, burning my tongue and barely tasting it. I tried to focus on something other than him kissing me but I can still feel his disgusting lips on my skin. “I’m having a shower,” I said, jumping up. I couldn’t stay out here anymore I needed to feel clean again.

I turned the hot water on and stepped in. It was too hot but I forced myself to stay under the water. I scrubbed my whole body until it hurt but no matter how much I cleaned myself I still felt dirty. I finally got out when my body stung so much I could barely move.

My body was red and the side of my cheek where he kissed was bleeding a little. I winced in pain as I touched it lightly, it was going to leave a mark but at least the skin where he touched was gone.

Rose and Poppy gasped when I walked out of the bathroom, “Lily what did you do?” Rose asked, looking at my cheek.

“It’s fine,” I replied with a shrug. “I’m tired. Night.” I didn’t want to get into it now I just needed to go to bed.

“Night,” they called at the same time. I climbed into bed and pulled the cover up over my head and squeezed my eyes shut.

The week passed so slowly and each day I felt like I was finally going to go insane. He’s getting worse and talks to himself a lot but he doesn’t come down here for very long anymore so whatever he’s doing I’m almost grateful for. Rose said he’s probably just stressed; apparently he gets very anxious when there are an uneven number of us down here. He likes things to match and makes sure our outfits are coordinating. Today we’re all wearing a white tank top with a blue flower on the bottom right, blue cardigan and matching long white skirt with the same flower at the bottom. I feel old but I really don’t care about the clothes I wear!

We’re spending the whole day cleaning the kitchen, disinfecting the counters and cupboards, washing the walls and floor, cleaning between the tiles with a toothbrush, wiping the packages and tins of food and wash up all the cups, plates and utensils. Rose said this takes all day as we have to repeat the process three times to get it clean to his standards. His sick psychotic standards!

“Okay Lily if you and Poppy start taking everything out of the cupboards and putting it on the table I’ll mix the floor cleaner and get the mop,” Rose said, taking the lead. I was actually grateful that we’re doing this, at least today would pass quickly and I could go to bed. At night is the only time I let myself think of Lewis, when I lay down and close my eyes I picture his face and everything we’ve done together, without him I probably would have given up a long time ago.