The Cellar (19)

Chapter 19

Lewis’ POV

I couldn’t sleep at all; I just laid in her bad with this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. My chest was tight, like I couldn’t get enough air in my lungs. There was something, something was wrong but I just don’t know what.

Henry pushed the bedroom door open and walked in. “I was thinking about going to Smith’s tomorrow,” he said too casually. I had wanted to go and see him ever since the police let him go the first time but everyone stopped me. With each new girl they pulled out of the canal he was held and questioned but they eventually had to let him go. “You coming?”

I knew it was only a matter of time before he changed his mind, “Finally!” I nodded, there’s no way I was missing out on a chance at talking to him, I needed to get him to tell me where she is.

“Henry, that guy outside the shop earlier, do you think there was something wrong with him?” I couldn’t get his face out of my head.

“Not really. What do you mean something wrong?”

“I don’t know,” I said with a sigh. “It’s just usually when we stop people there’s something there, they feel sorry for us, they look sad or concerned but he was so casual, as if we were discussing the weather.”

Henry shrugged, “I dunno, he probably just didn’t know how to react. Forget it; we need to concentrate on getting Smith talking.” He sneered at his name and turned to leave. “He’s under police surveillance so it won’t be easy, we need to think of something tomorrow. Night.”

“Yeah night.” I sighed and laid back down, staring at the ceiling. Maybe Henry’s right? Maybe I need to stop thinking about people’s reactions and concentrate on Smith!

Sleep was impossible though; I just couldn’t relax at all even though I was exhausted from walking around all day. I grabbed the picture of me and Summer, looking at it was torture but I couldn’t put it down, my eyes were fixed on her perfect face. “Tell me where you are baby,” I whispered, swallowing a lump in my throat. I laughed at myself humourlessly, as if she was going to answer! I took a deep breath and put the picture on my chest, gripping it tight and closed my eyes to try and get some sleep.

“Lewis,” someone shouted, making me jump up. “Breakfast is ready, hurry up, I wanna leave soon,” Henry said through the door.

“Alright.” It was six in the morning, the last time I looked at the clock last night it was four twenty-three, well almost two hours wasn’t that bad. My eyes stung a little and I didn’t have a lot of energy but I didn’t care. I stretched my aching limbs and put our picture back before throwing on some clothes and heading downstairs.

My stomach still felt like it was tied in knots and I could barely eat a thing so I just grabbed extra cereal bars and crisps. Summer’s favourites were still in my bag but I wasn’t going to eat them, she’d go crazy. I remember when I ate her last pink marshmallow; I paid for that one for a week! “Where are you two going today?” Dawn asked me and Henry as we were walking out the door. She looked so pale, dark circles framed her blood shot eyes, I don’t think she sleeps a lot either and I know she hates having to stay here all the time but someone needs to in case Summer calls or comes home.

“Back to the forest and then we’ll probably hit another street and speak to some people,” Henry replied calmly. No one else knew where we were going, they would only try and talk us out of it.

She nodded and swiped a tear from her face, the same way Summer does, “Right, okay. Keep in touch then and be careful.” We both nodded and got in his car, heading for David Smith’s house.