I Didn't Get Away With It

This chapter is based on 5x18 and doesn't follow very much of what was scripted. Maya Bishop's blackmail attempt failed quite spectacularly, imploding her career with SFD.

 Andy Herrera-Sullivan seeks to re-connect to her former spouse.

(It's a short chapter but I haven't posted in so long...I'd love your VOTE and or COMMENT, please!) 

MAYA BISHOP and DIANE LEWIS

Diane Lewis' first question for her patient is about the email she received the previous evening: 'will Grey Sloan's insurance cover mental health services with you, either with the SFD or privately?'

She had replied in the affirmative, but her curiosity is piqued. "Why wouldn't you visit me under the department's coverage?"

Bishop hedged and fidgeted before responding. "I was fired."

"Oh. I wasn't aware. Whatever you're accused of must be serious if the union couldn't intervene. I'm not fishing for information; simply curious."

Maya shrugged. "I kinda sorta tried to blackmail the Chief into re-instating me as Captain."

Diane released a deep breath, which she sucked in in shock. "To my knowledge, that's a fireable offense: also illegal. What precipitated this...incredibly rash action?"

Bishop explained that several events preceded her blackmail attempt:

Robert Sullivan's reinstatement to Battalion Chief, Andy Herrera's appearance on the 'promotable rolls', her meeting with Chief Natasha Ross where she expected the Chief to overturn her demotion, leaving her in line to replace the drunken and incompetent Sean Beckett; instead Ross read her the 'riot act' about how she'd not learned from her mistakes and
still insisted that her demotion was based on sexism; her discovery that Ross and Sullivan had begun a brief romance, which she attributed to the latter's ascension to his former position.
"So that's why. I can already guess what you'll say next. We can skip it if you don't mind."

/////ANDY and ROBERT/////

"Robert can I have a word?"

He doesn't look up from his desk. "FD business?"

"In a way."

"Is it or isn't it?" His eyes are now on his laptop screen.

She sighs. "It...it's more personal."

"Then NO-you can't have a word. As you can see I'm occupied."

"Chief...ROBERT: will you please look at me?"

With an exasperated sigh, he slaps his pen down on the desk and sits back.

"What?"

"Were you or are you involved with Ross?"

"And why is that your business, exactly?"

"Well; i-it ISN'T, it's just...is that wise?"

"You need to say what this is about because it's late and I'm beat."

"I'm saying...that WE WORK, you and I. Rather we WORKED and we can work again. At least I believe that we can...it doesn't make sense, I know but isn't that part of being in love? What's important is that you're my person and I'm yours...or I was."

"You wanted to be free and now you are. Your...'friend' either is or maybe he isn't but Seattle is full of eligible men. You had me served at my own station to ensure that I'D be free to do as I please and still I  stood by you through your legal trouble, advocated with the Chief so that you could return to the station that you consider to be home and have a chance at the Captain's spot. You'll act in that capacity beginning next week; after this week I'll office at another station."

"Is Ross payback? For what I did?"

"Ahhh; WHAT?!!"

/////MAYA and DIANE (CONT)/////

"This is THERAPY, Maya. You're familiar with that process: the moment that you place any topic: ANY TOPIC -off-limits then therapy ceases being therapeutic and becomes pointless. Meaning that we're wasting one another's time."

"Fine. You already know that I saved that little boy's life-breaking protocol in the process and that ASSHOLE McCallister demoted me"-

"Stop there a moment: you're leaving out something, aren't you-that it was the Chief's order that you disregarded? Fire-jumping is no different than on-the-ground fire fighting which is to say that the process doesn't work unless everyone follows the same rules. Here in my notes, I have your previous rebuttals to that premise and they are as invalid then as they are now."

TBC